Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS-DPD Chlorine Test at high levels

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS-DPD Chlorine Test at high levels

Can I mix 5 cc of tap water (no chlorine) with 5 cc of pool water to reduce the amount of reagent needed to complete the test while SLAM'ing? My assumption is that it would be 1 ppm per drop rather than .5. I'm not sure if the test actually works that way though....
    17,000 gal, sand filter, 3/4HP

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: FAS-DPD Chlorine Test at high levels

Just use 5ml of pool water. Each drop will count as 1 ppm. It will not be quite as accurate but it will more than likely be close enough for your purposes.

The results would get skewed if you mixed with tap water since in most areas chlorine is added to water for disinfection. Some jurisdictions allow up to 4 ppm.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

you could always use distilled or bottled water. you'd be saving drops, but not really on the powder, but of course, youre BLOWING through drops at slam levels.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

bdavis466 is right on the money, a 5ml sample produces results equal to 1 ppm/drop. No need to mess with any dilution.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    of course, youre BLOWING through drops at slam levels.
    That was my reasoning. Figured losing a bit of accuracy at 35 ppm isn't going to make a huge difference.

Thanks guys!
    17,000 gal, sand filter, 3/4HP

6. Back To Top    #6

I find using a syringe (like you can get for liquid meds at a pharmacy) works well for measuring the 5 ml - gives me more confidence that the FC value is reasonably accurate when doing FC test with less reagent.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits