Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to run my pump and polaris?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to run my pump and polaris?

I'm really enjoying my learning experience here on TFP.

So, here's my next question:
    How long should I be running my pump/filter?
    And how long should I be running my polaris?

Right now, while it's dirty.. and i'm doing a chlorine-shock.. should I keep it running nonstop?
    But then when it's clean.. just run it twice a week?

I have no idea what is even reasonable!!!
    Setup in 2007
    30,000 Gallon Rectangle
    Sand Filter & Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: How long to run my pump and polaris?

Did your builder recommend a pump run time? You'll get lots of different recommendations on that....depends on your location, weather conditions and temp, and your electric bill

Some people will do 8-12 hours in a day, perhaps all at once perhaps divided into 2 schedules.

I have a 2 speed pump that I run on low 24/7.

When shocking/clearing a pool, it's best to run your filter 24/7. I'm assuming you mean your Polaris-24/7? I guess that's up to you.... I have a friend who leaves their robotic cleaner on all the time because they have a lot of trees and dust from a nearby farmfield. You could start with 2 days a week and see if that's enough....You have to decide if you can live with the occasional crud or if you want the pool to look perfect 24/7 LOL.....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Texas

In cooler months I run my pump for about 4 hours in the morning and then about 1.5 hours in the evening, every day. Last summer, when temps were getting into the 100's, I ran the pump around 8 hours per day (again, split between morning and evening), but I have a monster 2.5HP Challenger High Head pump that moves a lot of water. This summer I may try to cut back somewhat, to see if I can run it less and still keep the pool clear.

The Polaris pump I only run during the morning for about 2 hours. If a lot of leaves have blown in during the day then I'll kick it on for an extra hour in the evening. Since I have a mechanical timer, it runs every day.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

I run 10-12 a day.. and the polaris as needed.. maybe 2 hours every couple of days.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal