Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help...Chainsaw in Pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help...Chainsaw in Pool!

Our pool finished filling yesterday and we are waiting for the guy to come and do the startup. Today the pergola guys showed up to construct the top of the pergola. Lots of sawdust in the pool. But worse, they just dropped a gas powered chainsaw into the pool along with a cordless drill. I got out there just in time to see them fishing the chainsaw out with a nail on the end of a pressure treated 2x6 (on the newly finished interior). I'm concerned about the gas powered chainsaw in the water as well as the pressure treated lumber in the water. I can see a bit of an oily film on the top of the water...not sure if it is the sawdust or the chainsaw but I'm not sure what to do about the water. Is this a contamination that requires draining the pool and refilling, or is it not that big of a deal? Any advice?

TIA
    Paul
    Under construction: IG; SWG; 32K Gal; Pentair Equip: IntelliFlo VS with SVRS, Clean and Clear Plus 520, Racer w/booster, 3 Intellibrite LED lights, ScreenLogic; Grecian Diving Pool; 42 x 18; 654 Square Feet; 112' perimeter; 3 - 4 - 9; Tumbled travertine coping (color - Nysa); Tumbled travertine decking (color TBD - leaning toward light walnut color); Hand-chiseled limestone wall; Stonescapes Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help...Chainsaw in Pool!

Not a big deal as long as the finish/pebble wasn't damaged by the falling tools. Any oils or gas should be filtered and oxidized in short order once there is chlorine in the pool. The green treatment for boards is not nearly as toxic as it used to be so I don't think that's anything to worry about it either.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

If you still have some oil on the surface after some filter time you can always use some of these
    Amazon.com : Horizon Ventures HVSB2PK 2-Pack Pool/Spa Scum Eliminating Reusable Scum Ball : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

PDfw....hate to say it but I slung a gas powered blower into my pool and got the oily sheen. I raised my FC up and placed some batting into the filter basket and ran the filter overnight. No harm done. I hold on to the blower much tighter these days.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow! I didn't know tossing gas powered tools into to pools was such a popular activity!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

PIG Mat#551 works awesome at absorbing oils while being completely hydrophobic. I have a box and I've used it to clean up the Exxon-Valdez like tanning oil spills that occur every time my sister-in-law decides to visit our pool...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Let see, the saw dust should soak up the gas and oil off the top, a knee high nylon as a skimmer sock in the skimmer should strain out the saw dust. See it all just takes care of itself.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Wow! I didn't know tossing gas powered tools into to pools was such a popular activity!
    Lol pooldv.....blower was brand new, 1st time using it. Hubby was none to pleased but it still runs, so far.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks guys! Your responses have me feeling a bit better about it. But there is a definite film in the water that I need to deal with. It really sticks to the skin. I had to use Dawn dish soap to cut through it after sticking my arm in the skimmer. That gave me the thought - what would happen if I put a few drops of Dawn to break up the oil (the saw dust fell to the bottom before soaking up the oil). The builder's guy came out and turned the equipment on, but didn't leave any skimmer baskets for me to wrap in nylon. So I guess the only thing that will strain out the sawdust is the pool filter.
    Under construction: IG; SWG; 32K Gal; Pentair Equip: IntelliFlo VS with SVRS, Clean and Clear Plus 520, Racer w/booster, 3 Intellibrite LED lights, ScreenLogic; Grecian Diving Pool; 42 x 18; 654 Square Feet; 112' perimeter; 3 - 4 - 9; Tumbled travertine coping (color - Nysa); Tumbled travertine decking (color TBD - leaning toward light walnut color); Hand-chiseled limestone wall; Stonescapes Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue

10. Back To Top    #10

A scum ball in each skimmer will help. They do a good job in the pool and hot tub collecting sun screen oils. Can get them on amazon for sure.

sent from mobile. beware of brevity and spelling errors.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool Perfect may help break up the oil (Not with Phos-free included). I use it after a party when people with a lot of sun tan oil swim in my pool. Not sure if 2 stroke oil is similar to sun tan oils
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System