Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa spillway question

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa spillway question

I have a spa that is raised with a spillway into the pool...my question is this;

Can I set the valves in such a way to run the filter thru the spa and pool but not have the spillway run? Is this a normal thing to do or I am asking for something new?

reason for wanting to do this is obvious to me but may not be to others...most of all of the spillways I see are covered with calcium deposits so I think only running the spillway when we have a party or whatever will keep it cleaner longer...

the pool and the spa both have two main drains

thanks
    full of water.jpg
    Pool Build Finished 08/21/15
    17x30 IG Gunite pool/7' spa with gray plaster filled with city water
    Pentair VS 3 hp (pool guy set to run from 0600-1400)
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa spillway question

It all depends on how your valves are set up. To be honest, I doubt you have the ability to not use the spillway. My pool is very similar and does not have this option. In theory, if the valves were partially opened perfectly right it would work but in reality you'll probably end up draining the spa or running some water over the spillway.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the exact same set-up as you do, Richie. Perhaps you can finesse your valves to prevent this YET still allow water flow in your spa but I doubt it.

I've never had deposits form on my spillway. I think as long as your numbers are correct, it shouldn't precipitate out.

FWIW, I set the spa drain to off (no suction at all) and the returns to the pool and spa are split for normal operation. I only have skimmer suction going (no main drain).
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

4. Back To Top    #4

Spa spillway question

You wouldn't be able to balance the flows perfectly enough. You'd either drain the spa or cause a trickle.

You could try to automate the 3-way valve that splits the flow between your pool and spa return. Then program to activate the spillway once or twice a day as needed. Problem is, your spa is much lower volume of water than the pool so it can go green more quickly if it doesn't see enough chlorinated water each day.

The other option is to keep the return flow fully to the pool and program your system to run the water in the spa a few times a day so that it gets some chlorine in it. But you would have to manually run the spillway on some regular basis as evaporation would lower the water level in the spa.

Attached spas are a nice feature on our pools but they do present a minor amount of hassle (excess aeration, evaporite deposits on tiles, etc).

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thanks for the ideas...I guess I just live with it

first world problems
    Pool Build Finished 08/21/15
    17x30 IG Gunite pool/7' spa with gray plaster filled with city water
    Pentair VS 3 hp (pool guy set to run from 0600-1400)
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater