Playing it safe...

snachs

Jul 19, 2015
West Chester, PA
I just bought the Dolphin nautilus plus and expect it to arrive tomorrow. With the season nearly over, I'll only use it a few times. I'm searching on safety of using it with high FC levels and seeing things all over the board.

- I have a CYA of 100-110 so I've raised my FC to 10 and might go higher this week to prep for closing
- I will not leave the robot in the pool beyond it's cleaning cycle of 3 hours.

Am I good to run it at FC of 10? What if I slam and go to FC of 35? I'd prefer to be safe then sorry but of course it will be hard to not give her a whirl when she arrives.

Thanks!

You're right. Lots of varying thoughts on this topic. Some leave it in and find it useful during a SLAM, others take it out right away. First thing I would recommend is see what the owners manual says first. Can chlorine in itself be corrosive? If not used or balanced properly - sure. But remember TFPC relies on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to maintain a safe balance between FC and CYA. So even at SLAM/Shock level of 28 or more for some pools, the water is still safe for your skin/hair. So in your case, I would suspect the Nautilus can handle it as well. In the end however, it may just boil-down to your personal preference of whether exposure to the higher FC is worth it based on any cleaning productivity gained - especially during a SLAM when you have to scrub and such anyways. Maybe more opinion s will follow. Have a great day!

I used mine during a SLAM to remove ammonia from my pool, probably a pretty bad situation for the robot and it's still going fine. Protecting it from sunlight when not in the pool is more important. With CYA in the pool, the chlorine shouldn't weaken the plastic very much over even a long time. If you're concerned when using it during a SLAM, I'd just give it a rinse with tap/hose water when you pull it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.