Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Playing it safe...

1. Back To Top    #1

West Chester, PA

Playing it safe...

I just bought the Dolphin nautilus plus and expect it to arrive tomorrow. With the season nearly over, I'll only use it a few times. I'm searching on safety of using it with high FC levels and seeing things all over the board.

- I have a CYA of 100-110 so I've raised my FC to 10 and might go higher this week to prep for closing
    - I will not leave the robot in the pool beyond it's cleaning cycle of 3 hours.

Am I good to run it at FC of 10? What if I slam and go to FC of 35? I'd prefer to be safe then sorry but of course it will be hard to not give her a whirl when she arrives.

28,500 gallon IG plaster. Spa attached. 2001 construction. Dying Raypak gas heat, Pentair Cartridge Filter, single speed pump, Dolphin Nautilus cleaner. Abandoned Frog inline-chlorination and Rayvac cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Playing it safe...

You're right. Lots of varying thoughts on this topic. Some leave it in and find it useful during a SLAM, others take it out right away. First thing I would recommend is see what the owners manual says first. Can chlorine in itself be corrosive? If not used or balanced properly - sure. But remember TFPC relies on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to maintain a safe balance between FC and CYA. So even at SLAM/Shock level of 28 or more for some pools, the water is still safe for your skin/hair. So in your case, I would suspect the Nautilus can handle it as well. In the end however, it may just boil-down to your personal preference of whether exposure to the higher FC is worth it based on any cleaning productivity gained - especially during a SLAM when you have to scrub and such anyways. Maybe more opinion s will follow. Have a great day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Minnesota

I used mine during a SLAM to remove ammonia from my pool, probably a pretty bad situation for the robot and it's still going fine. Protecting it from sunlight when not in the pool is more important. With CYA in the pool, the chlorine shouldn't weaken the plastic very much over even a long time. If you're concerned when using it during a SLAM, I'd just give it a rinse with tap/hose water when you pull it out.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

That's poses an interesting question. What is worse for plastics intended for pool use; Exposure to SLAM or exposure to sun (UV)?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

5. Back To Top    #5
    Riverside, CA or Lake Havasu, AZ

does the high FC level hurt the cleaner?
    Pool Build Finished 08/21/15
    17x30 IG Gunite pool/7' spa with gray plaster filled with city water
    Pentair VS 3 hp (pool guy set to run from 0600-1400)
    Pentair 420
    Pentair 400k heater

6. Back To Top    #6

The key is the fc/cya ratio. As long as the fc is less than about 40 % of the cya, there should not be any excessive oxidation of equipment.