Large Air Bubbles from Pool Outlets

Aug 3, 2015
Orlando/Florida
I have an in-ground pool that has been shut down for about 3 years, and I'm trying to convince it to stop blowing large bubbles from the pool outlets.

The old pump has been replaced with a Pentair Superflow VS. The new pump inlet and outlet fittings have O-rings, which I lubricated and tightened properly. The pump basket cover O-ring was also lubricated and is good and tight. On the inlet-side, the J-valve diverters have been replaced with the non-libricant type with all new O-rings and the proper amount of lubricant. The now unused lubricant caps were removed and replaced with brass plugs.

Using either the Vac inlet OR the Skimmer inlet, I'm getting continuous large bubbles exiting the pool outlets, even after several hours of continuous operations at maximum RPM. It seems unlikely that the pipes from BOTH inlets have decided to leak after years of trouble-free operation.

Should I suspect air is entering the system through the outlet side of the pump (i.e. filter, chlorinator and valves)?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Tom

The fixtures that put water into the pool are called returns. Your circulatory system has a suction side and a pressure side. The suction side is from the skimmer on the wall of your pool to the pump. The pressure side is from the pump all through the equipment and into the pool through the returns. That'll help put us on the same page.

Air leaks only occur on the suction side.....not on the pressure side. There is an article in Pool School on suction side leaks.....have you read that? It may be helpful.

It's possible that at maximum RPM your pump needs more water than those lines can supply. Try a lower speed and see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.