Any experience with the Duda Solar Pool Collector??

Aug 20, 2015
Lakeside, CA
I'm looking for an alternative to traditional solar, gas or electric heaters and came across this: Duda Solar Pool Collector [DS-SC58P-30T] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

Does anyone have experience with these?? I did a search here and it looks like a bunch of people buy chemicals from them, but I couldn't find anyone who'd posted anything on their Solar Pool Collectors.

I have an in-ground, 26,000 Gallon pool.

Thanks!

These are not efficient collectors in areas with full sunlight. As noted in the link, they average around 60% in efficiency. Evacuated tube collectors are more commonly used for domestic hot water heating because they are more efficient than other collectors when the temperature differences are large. For most pools, either the unglazed flat black plastic tube panels are better or in areas with less sunlight or wind with cooler air temperatures then glazed panels are better.

Given your location a traditional flat plastic/rubber mat style solar heater would work best, glazed, evacuated tube, etc. are all better suited for a greater temperature difference than you have in your climate, such as wanting to heat a pool while there is snow on the ground, or heating for domestic hot water. As a general rule of thumb is outdoor daytime temperatures are within 20 degrees F of the desired pool temperature then you will get the best performance out of the basic black flat unglazed panels.

I have those traditional panels as you describe right now, and I'm not happy with their performance during the spring and late fall. Maybe they're very old (around 10-14 years I'm guessing). My wife can't get in the pool until August, as it's a little too cold for her. I have a lot of roof space, and could re-do the panel system pretty easily. They're located on a very large steel building, so it's easy to access.

Gotcha. I'm in KY, so a few weeks over 80 is all I get. I was thinking August in California you could almost cook things in a pool. Never know the exact climate til ya ask. Good luck in your quest for a warm pool. I need to start that same quest when the funds are available. My weather and pool are about to start a free fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem may be that you just don't have enough panels, or perhaps something else is wrong. Can you fill out your signature with your pool information and tell us how many and how big are the solar panels you currently have installed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey @shawnworst, was curious what you ended up choosing. I am in southern California as well and was looking at the DudaDiesel evacuated tubes solar pool heater as well. But from reading the comments in this thread it seems like a black flat mat is the better option. Let me know what you ended up going with and if you are happy with your decision, thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.