Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any experience with the Duda Solar Pool Collector??

1. Back To Top    #1

Any experience with the Duda Solar Pool Collector??

I'm looking for an alternative to traditional solar, gas or electric heaters and came across this: Duda Solar Pool Collector [DS-SC58P-30T] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

Does anyone have experience with these?? I did a search here and it looks like a bunch of people buy chemicals from them, but I couldn't find anyone who'd posted anything on their Solar Pool Collectors.

I have an in-ground, 26,000 Gallon pool.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any experience with the Duda Solar Pool Collector??

These are not efficient collectors in areas with full sunlight. As noted in the link, they average around 60% in efficiency. Evacuated tube collectors are more commonly used for domestic hot water heating because they are more efficient than other collectors when the temperature differences are large. For most pools, either the unglazed flat black plastic tube panels are better or in areas with less sunlight or wind with cooler air temperatures then glazed panels are better.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you please update your location with your state , or if outside the U.S. your country. Knowing where you are helps us give better advice.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Lakeside, CA (East San Diego, CA)

5. Back To Top    #5

Given your location a traditional flat plastic/rubber mat style solar heater would work best, glazed, evacuated tube, etc. are all better suited for a greater temperature difference than you have in your climate, such as wanting to heat a pool while there is snow on the ground, or heating for domestic hot water. As a general rule of thumb is outdoor daytime temperatures are within 20 degrees F of the desired pool temperature then you will get the best performance out of the basic black flat unglazed panels.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

6. Back To Top    #6

I have those traditional panels as you describe right now, and I'm not happy with their performance during the spring and late fall. Maybe they're very old (around 10-14 years I'm guessing). My wife can't get in the pool until August, as it's a little too cold for her. I have a lot of roof space, and could re-do the panel system pretty easily. They're located on a very large steel building, so it's easy to access.

7. Back To Top    #7

How warm are you trying to get this pool?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

About 80 would be nice. During the late summer that's not a problem now, just spring & late fall.

Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Gotcha. I'm in KY, so a few weeks over 80 is all I get. I was thinking August in California you could almost cook things in a pool. Never know the exact climate til ya ask. Good luck in your quest for a warm pool. I need to start that same quest when the funds are available. My weather and pool are about to start a free fall.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

The problem may be that you just don't have enough panels, or perhaps something else is wrong. Can you fill out your signature with your pool information and tell us how many and how big are the solar panels you currently have installed?