Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar panels - Ecostar VS pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar panels - Ecostar VS pump

I have 9 4x12 Heliocol solar panels in one single row on my flat roof about 16 foot off the ground. I have a Ecostar 3400 VS pump and 2" PVC lines to and from the panels. I would like to add 5 more panels in a new row to this system. Is the pump powerful enough to do this? How do I figure how many panels the pump will support? How do I figure out what speed to run the pump at?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar panels - Ecostar VS pump

Typically you want about 1 gpm for every 10 sqft of solar panels. You would likely have to run at a pretty high speed.

This would end up being the largest system I have heard of on the forum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I suspect in order to get maximum performance from your solar panels with the 14 4x12 panels you will need to run your pump at full speed or close to it, to know for sure you might consider purchasing a flow meter like the ones sold at TFTestkits TFTestkits.net By way of comparison I have a set of 11 4x12 Techno-Solis brand panels at a similar height to your panels with a 2 speed 1.5 HP Jandy Flo-Pro pump. When running on high with a clean DE filter I get just about 40 GPM of total flow, or 3.6 GPM per panel, where optimal flow is around 4.5 GPM.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like if I have 14 panels I can run the pump at 3400 RPM and be pretty close. If I install a flow meter I adjust the RPMs to run at 70 GPM which is ideal.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    to know for sure you might consider purchasing a flow meter like the ones sold at TFTestkits TFTestkits.net

Ike
    If I were to put a flow meter right after the VS pump would it help me determine what speed to run my pump at? For example. Throttle the pump back from full speed until the flow rate is desirable. Is this a good way to determine what speed to run the pump at? Could use this for all aspects of the pool ( solar, in floor cleaner, spa mode, spill over, etc).

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't put it right after the pump. Use the FlowVis right after your filter where you need a check valve anyway.

And yes it will give you an idea of the flow rate for all modes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Don't put it right after the pump. Use the FlowVis right after your filter where you need a check valve anyway.

And yes it will give you an idea of the flow rate for all modes.
    There is no room after the filter to put it. Why would it work better after the filter?

8. Back To Top    #8

That is just the typical location for a check valve with solar. I suppose between the pump and filter should work the same to prevent backflow when the solar panels drain.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

It depends on the type of filter setup you have and where the water from the solar panels would back flow to once the pump is off. If you would fill out your signature with your pool information like ours is it would be helpful in giving better advice.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    It depends on the type of filter setup you have and where the water from the solar panels would back flow to once the pump is off. If you would fill out your signature with your pool information like ours is it would be helpful in giving better advice.
    Signature complete.
    13,000 gallon pool and spa, StoneScapes mini pebble midnight blue, Ecostar VS pump, Tristar VS pump for water fall, Hayward SwimClear C4030 filter, Hayward H400FDN heater, 9 4x12 Heliocol solar panels, paramount PV3 in floor cleaner, Omnilogic , T-15 salt cell, sense and dispense

11. Back To Top    #11

Here are some photos of my equipment. Where would the best place to put a flow meter?

If I start the pump at full speed and back the RPMs down until the flow rate starts to drop. Is that the most efficient RPM for the pump to run at?

Attachment 42697
    Attachment 42698
    Attachment 42699
    13,000 gallon pool and spa, StoneScapes mini pebble midnight blue, Ecostar VS pump, Tristar VS pump for water fall, Hayward SwimClear C4030 filter, Hayward H400FDN heater, 9 4x12 Heliocol solar panels, paramount PV3 in floor cleaner, Omnilogic , T-15 salt cell, sense and dispense