Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pounds of Granular CL to Liquid Bleach Conversion?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pounds of Granular CL to Liquid Bleach Conversion?

Hello all. Thank you for reading this and for your advice. I have been trying to learn more about the TFPC method & utilize info where I can.

Is there a conversion for pounds of granulated Chlorine to gallons of Liquid Bleach (~12%)?

I know this is a novice question. I checked the Pool Calculator, and searched through the TFP forum. I unfortunately do not know the chemical composition of the granulated CL. It is whatever "The Pool Guy" uses. I bet it is stuff that can be picked up at Walmart, etc.

This is the first year I am closing my Northeast NY 27,000 gallon pool for the winter. The pool guy is a nice guy, and he taught me how to close the pool. He said when he closes our pool for the winter he puts in "6 pounds of granulated CL, mixed into buckets of water and spread throughout the pool".

Since I'm reading such great things about using only Liquid Bleach, I though that there might be a conversion equivalency?

Well, thank you very much for reading and for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pounds of Granular CL to Liquid Bleach Conversion?

I think you might be better to use Pool Math. It shows the amounts of liquid and non-liquid. So you can see both in one place.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If you want to do the closing yourself, there are a few things you are going to need.
    A good test kit. See this link:Test Kit Comparison I would recommend the TF-100
    Do some reading: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool I'm assuming you have in inground.

Ask questions.

Also, Pool School - Getting Started
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you greatly for your help, pabeader. I'm checking out the Pool Math page now.