Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Redoing plumbing, replacing valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

Redoing plumbing, replacing valve?

I need to redo plumbing to install a new pump. A 15 year old Compool 2 way valve is part of the plumbing before the pump intake and I am going to automate this valve. The valve works fine, but I am wondering if it may be a good idea to replace it at the same time or do you think I will continue to get good service from it?
    27,000 gal in ground white plaster pool. Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter, Sta-Rite heater and 2 HP pump. Solar heating on roof.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Redoing plumbing, replacing valve?

15 yrs is a long time for a valve. Really hard to know how much service life may be left on it. I'm personally not familiar with the brand. Maybe someone else will know. Technology is better today and some newer valves have longer or lifetime guarantees. Since you're re-doing the plumbing anyways, I would personally be inclined to replace the valve now while it's apart. If you chose not to, then hopefully the valve is attached by unions so that at the very least you can simply unscrew it later if needed. Good luck, and have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would replace the valve with a recent valve, if for no other reason than the older compool valves used screws to hold the top on that are an unusual thread size.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Compool valves are similar to Jandy valves. Switching to a Jandy valve and/or a Jandy valve actuator is a good choice.

5. Back To Top    #5

Suspected those answers. I will change it to a Jandy valve. Thanks.
    27,000 gal in ground white plaster pool. Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter, Sta-Rite heater and 2 HP pump. Solar heating on roof.