Never Ending Green Algae

Just throwing this out there as I've been following this thread. Is there a possibility that maybe your CYA is higher than you think? That test is very subjective, I think most folks have problems with it...I know I do. I only ask because you stated in post 15 that the issue seemed to reappear when your FC dropped below 9.

Above ground, 24'x52". The filter runs 7 to 10 am and 7 to 10 pm. Full sun most of the day. The water temp had dropped to about 72 (it was crystal clear then) but has now risen to 82 with the past week of hot weather. I added the clarifier because I detected cloudiness, which was always the start of green before. So, actually, the issue started before the clarifier was added.

Just spotted this. Your filter, running for 6 hours per day may not be enough. Also, the times, in my opinion should be changed. I set the timer for 1 hour in the a.m. to mix the liquid chlorine properly (when I dose my pool). Then the filter runs during the hottest times of the day. For example, 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. in the summer. As we start losing daylight and the temperature drops quickly during the night time, I scale back almost every week by a few hours, eventually down to 5 hours at most.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in and determine if the running times, based on past experience make a difference.

When you leave, does anyone maintain your FC for you? It doesn't seem to take much to see green if the level falls below the minimum. (Ask me how i know, ha ha.)

Before, during and since the last slam I was home every day and I can say for sure it never dropped below where it should have been.

- - - Updated - - -

Just throwing this out there as I've been following this thread. Is there a possibility that maybe your CYA is higher than you think? That test is very subjective, I think most folks have problems with it...I know I do. I only ask because you stated in post 15 that the issue seemed to reappear when your FC dropped below 9.

When I first got the recommended test kit it CYA tested at 100. Since then some water was drained twice, and each time it came down. Currently at 100 the spot is clearly visible. It may not be exactly 60 now, but its close.

Yeah, a little subjective, but in my case its repeatable.

- - - Updated - - -

Just spotted this. Your filter, running for 6 hours per day may not be enough. Also, the times, in my opinion should be changed. I set the timer for 1 hour in the a.m. to mix the liquid chlorine properly (when I dose my pool). Then the filter runs during the hottest times of the day. For example, 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. in the summer. As we start losing daylight and the temperature drops quickly during the night time, I scale back almost every week by a few hours, eventually down to 5 hours at most.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in and determine if the running times, based on past experience make a difference.

The pool liner was replaced in 2014, but the pool has been in this spot since 1990. 2015 was my very first problem. The pool store testing worked well for us in the past, and a local pool man took care of it during my 2 week annual summer vacation. I took it over 100% myself this year only because my work schedule lightened a bit, and because of the algae problem.

In any event, 3+3 = 6 hours a day was what i had been doing since 1990 with no issues. I always dose at 7 PM just because that's a convenient time for me. If I need more than 6 hours that's certainly doable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.