Water Leak and "Dirt" in Pool

mcafan

Sep 7, 2015
Plains
Ok...hope someone can assist. I keep my pump running on low speed 24/7. When I put the pump on high speed, I notice water dripping from the backwash outlet - quite a bit of it. When I place the motor on high speed, the leak increases. Now, I'm not sure if this is my imagination or not, but since I noticed this leak, it seems like I always have the need to vacuum the pool because of what "appears" to be sand. on the bottom of the pool. The gathering of this residue on the bottom of the pool seems to increase with the motor in high speed. Is it possible for the filter to send sand back INTO the pool? Anyone know the reason of the leak and am I crazy about sand coming back into the pool? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thx

If there is a problem with the laterals inside the filter you could have sand coming back into the pool. Your sand could be channeled as well. That is where the sand has formed "channels" for some reason and needs to be reworked. Have you opened up your filter to see what the sand looks like?

Kim

I would approach that as two separate issues (although they may be somewhat related)

Stop the water leak first. The problem may be in your multiport valve. Take that apart and inspect the "wagonwheel" seal. It will be very obvious what that is and I think you may find it damaged or unseated.

Once the leak is fixed, then you can work on the sand issue.

I had something similar and the culprit was like mentioned above the multi port valve. It needed a new wagon wheel gasket. Also I have read somewhere that it is recommended to only turn the multi port valve in one direction all the time.

Don't know if this is true or not but to be on the safe side I only turn mine clockwise to the setting I want.

Re: Water Leak and "Dirt" in Pool

I have not...I plan to do that once I close the pool for the winter. Hope this isn't a silly question but what is a "lateral"? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I've noticed that, over the years, that valve handle has become VERY difficult to turn. I wonder if that is a sign of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

I've noticed that, over the years, that valve handle has become VERY difficult to turn. I wonder if that is a sign of the problem.
Yes. I would plan on replacing the "wagonwheel" gasket in the multiport. You will see it as soon as you open up the multiport.

Re: Water Leak and "Dirt" in Pool

I have not...I plan to do that once I close the pool for the winter. Hope this isn't a silly question but what is a "lateral"? Thanks!

Thank you!

A lateral is a part of the filter. It is the part that attaches to the bottom of pipe that does down into the sand. They can break, get clogged, etc. which causes problems with filtering.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.