Sand filter putting lots of sand back into the pool

Sep 7, 2015
indianapolis
My wife and i recently bought our first home and it had a wonderfull above ground pool with a sand filter. The other day I was sweeping the bottom of the pool and I left it on backwash while doing this seeing how I figgured the filter needed a cleaning as well. when I started the filter back up it was putting larg amounts of sand back into the pool. If i had to measure It I would say at least a cup every 5 min of sand. I'm thinking I broke something. What should I do?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It is possible to damage the laterals with backwashing too much. The pressure and flow applied to the screens can cause them to split.

I think you are at a point where you need to remove the sand and then the laterals to inspect them for tears.

Welcome! :wave:

Did you Rinse after the backwash? That's only possible if you have a multiport valve; if you have a simple push-pull you don't have that option.

Odds are, the extended backwash really churned up the sand and left a lot on the plumbing. Then on filter, it blew it into the pool. The rinse cycle would have gotten that stuff into the waste line not the return.

Just vacuum it up. You can easily tell if more is getting spit out into the pool by attaching and old sock to the returns with a rubber band. If there's no sand in the sock, it's done spitting it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.