Need help, water leaking, other issues. Need to identify and fix

beachinmoney

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2013
Buckeye, AZ
Hi, I'm home on my own due to husband being out on the road with work and I replaced my motor in my Hayward Northstar SP4010 pump with a 2 speed. The seal was replaced along with the impeller just to give you some background. My strainer lid was leaking water. I got a new o-ring and it still leaked a little but then about 2 weeks ago the union where the pipe goes into the top of the pump housing started leaking. I looked at it and the o-ring is fine, I guess they call that a gasket, no cracks in the nut or anything however the pipe that goes into the housing of the pump isn't threaded or anything and it's not glued in. I tried adding more lube and sealing it and it is still leaking badly. The strainer basket is melted so at some point it must have run dry. Now I need to know what to do to fix and if I can do on my own...

Normally what we see is the PVC pipe with a "nut" on the end that screws onto the top of the pump. The nut (that spins or tightens) will be glued to that PVC pipe. It should be secure. There may also be a small black O-ring in that "nut" that screws onto the pump. Look it over closely for any defects. Maybe use a little magic lube on it - never petroleum jelly. From there, follow the PVC tubing to where it goes next - the filter or another union fitting perhaps? It may also have a "nut" or "union" fitting that has an O-ring in it. Those are just some ideas that may help you. If this doesn't make sense, maybe post a pic or two of what you have so we can see it better.

Take a look at my pool's pump lines below in my signature (My pool). You'll see a couple pics of my pump station. There's the line that comes-up out of the ground (from the skimmer) and goes into the pump basket (suction side). Then you'll see the line that comes out of the back of the pump (on the top side) that goes to my filter. That's the "pressure" side. Either way, those knobs that twist (nut, union fitting, etc) are what actually screws onto the pump. But it's glued to the white PVC pipe. It should be glued to the pipe so that there is no chance it will pop-off later. Now if you just have just a tiny leak where it connects to the white pipe, then some silicone or epoxy may work if it cures good enough against the pipe. If the leak if from where the fitting screws onto the pump itself, it may be a small O-ring. Just wanted to give you that info. Either way, I hope you get it resolved. If not, post a pic or two tomorrow and we'll see what else we can do for you.

Your best bet is to buy what is called a "nut" fitting or union fitting that is the right size to screw to your pump. The other end will be glued to the white PVC pipe. With a new fitting and perhaps a foot or two of new PVC pipe, you can be assured of a good strong fit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.