Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Did I just mess up big time or what :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Did I just mess up big time or what :(

Let me start out by saying I have had my pool for 18 years and have never really had any issues. But boy did I create one yesterday. My wife had a woman over a few days ago who had some sort of self bronzer on, which I attribute to an oil sheen I first noticed on the water surface that night. I went to clean out one of the skimmers yesterday and it was full of this oily junk and it took major hosing to get it all off. So, I decided it was probably in the filter too, so I backwashed the DE filter quite a while to get it all out. The phone rang so I shut down the pump while I talked on the phone for a while. When I was done I mixed up 7.5 pounds of DE in a bucket of water, turned on the pump and proceeded to pour it into the skimmer as I always do. After a short while I noticed that no water was going into the pool, and then I just said OH CRUD. I had forgotten to turn the valve from backwash to filter. My first instinct (which was obviously wrong) was that I just flushed 7.5 pounds of DE to waste. Was a little annoyed that I wasted money but no big deal. Shut the pump off turned it to filter and turned it back on. What I observed next was I got to see exactly the path of water flow in my pool as I now pumped 7.5 pounds of DE into the pool. Stupid me had actually precoated the wrong side of the filter. Had I just turned the valve to waste I would have been OK, but instead without thinking I flushed it all into the pool. The pool turned into a cloudy mess. So I recoated the filter and turned it back on. I manually vacuumed the pool and have my robot going several times a day to get all the DE out. It is not too terrible today but still a little cloudy with some film of DE on the floor. Keep taking the robot out and cleaning all the DE out of it and putting it back into the pool. I wonder how long it will take to fix this stupid mistake.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Did I just mess up big time or what :(

Ahhhhh, one of those moments. I can't say for sure how long it will take to clear, but just like when our parents said, "Don't touch that!" .. I bet you won't do that again. You'll be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Gotta hate it when things like this happen. At least you know what happened.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Going to waste would not have cleared de from inside the grids. Putting the multiport on "Rinse" would have cleared out most of the de.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Going to waste would not have cleared de from inside the grids. Putting the multiport on "Rinse" would have cleared out most of the de.
    Good point, thanks.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Be patient, eventually all that DE will clean up. Yeah, I've done this before!

7. Back To Top    #7

You are not alone. My problem was cracked parts in the filter but with the same result. It took several days but the little robot did his job. I had to brush the sides and especially the steps to help out.
    25k IG Gunite and failing quartz over plaster, BBB and considering SWG, Hayward DE 60 filter, Hayward 400k heater, Boost-Rite pump to Polaris, Pentair filter pump, Hayward waterfall pump