Best Automatic Chlorinator

Tamer

Sep 7, 2015
NY
Hello, this is my first post to Trouble Free Pool however I have enjoyed reading all the advice over the years. I have an inground 22x50 (55,000 gal) that is covered by a glass greenhouse. I live in NY but use the pool year round. Betterwater cartrige filter (20mu) and a commercial UV system for primiary disinfictant. I use the Jandy RS automation to control pump, UV, heater and lights. I was using dichlor exclusively for the last 3 years as a residual disinfictant but when I had an alge bloom that I couldnt get rid of i realized my CYA was over 200, so I just drained the pool and in the process of refilling.

My alge experience has lead me to think of a liquid chlorine to assist my UV. Which leads to the question of what is the best chemical automation system? My natural choice should be the Jandy C1900 as it integrates with my Jandy RS controller (so I can see everything on my phone app). However Jandy just discontinued its entire Chemlink line. I can still get a C1900, but maybe there is a reason why they discontinued it? Is there a better choice?

Lastly what pumps should I get that will be controlled by the system?

The recommendation would be to run your pool as an indoor pool. That means using a minimum amount of CYA (20-30ppm) and then maintain a chlorine residual of 2-3ppm. Chlorine is your primary sanitizer and your FC should never drop below 2ppm. While the UV system is good to have as a disinfection source for the water that flows through the UV cell, it does nothing to destroy pathogens that may be stuck to the walls or plumbing system. You also need chlorine to oxidize organics and bather waste.

Liquid chlorine is your best option and using a Stenner pump to automate LC dosing would be a really good option. The Stenner pumps that are recommended here on TFP by many users can easily be attached to your primary pumps power relay so that the Stenner only runs when the pumps are running.

That would be my approach to it unless you can convert your pool to salt water, then Jandy has some nice SWG's available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply Matt. Do you have any recommendations for an automated chemical measurement system? I am considering the Jandy C1900 but Jandy discontinued manufacturing it. Any thoughts?

I don't think you'll find much support for ORP control generally because many on TFP run outdoor pools with high CYA levels. ORP is not a very good method of chlorine control when CYA is present and most ORP probes seem to show spurious results with UV exposure (the conjecture being that UV creates short-lived hydroxyl radicals that are powerful oxidizer thus affecting the ORP voltage).

In your case, you are running an indoor pool with low CYA so you might be able to get away with ORP control. CYA concentration affects ORP a lot because it buffers the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) levels and so the probe reads a very weak signal.

A lot of folks have pH control/automation and that seems to work fine in both indoor and outdoor settings.

Since you mentioned that Jandy is discontinuing the C1900, I would not buy it. Both Hayward and Pentair make chemical control systems that people use here. If Jandy has a new replacement to their C1900 line, then I would consider that.

Of course, I would advise against ORP control as I think it's more hassle than it's worth, but it's ultimately up to you. I am fine with acid dosing systems because they are generally easy to setup and keep stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt thank you again for such a through and promt response. I am going to look into the Pentair ORP/PH controller and see if I can somehow interface with my RS. Not that its a must, but it would be nice to see all my pool vitals on one unifed app rathe than switching back and forth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.