Test Results look ok but water is cloudy

Hi All,

We're having a bit of a problem with how cloudy our water is even though I think the test results look ok.

PH 7.6
FC 3.5ppm
CYA 70 ppm
TA 110
CH 750

CH is due to the pool being just a few months old.

Also, how often should we be shocking the pool?

Thanks for the help!

Hello Marshall. The days of "shocking" your pool are gone with TFP. :) But if the FC ever gets too low and algae sets-in, then we SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Your FC is at the low end for sure. Maybe something is starting to brew. You could bump-up (boost) the FC from the SWG or augment it with some regular bleach for a bit to see if that helps. Perhaps even do an OCLT to ensure there are no organics starting to grow. A high CH can also contribute to cloudiness, but I'm not so sure that's the culprit as of yet. Ruling-out algae/organics would be my first course of action. Next time you post results, please add the CC reading as well. That will help in our evaluation.

FC gets taken either by sunlight or organics. The overnight chlorine loss test is what we commonly use to rule-out algae eating chlorine. When performing the OLCT, remember that it must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting (bedtime) FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.

got it, we'll elevate FC tonight and do an OCLT.

my wife said the pool store told her it could be due to a high phosphate level and they sold her "super phosphate remover". any thoughts on this?
It's a way for the pool store owner to make his boat payment. In a properly chlorinated pool you do not need to worry about phosphates.

Phosphate removers are really not needed. Save your $$. Phosphates are nothing more than food for algae. A properly maintained and sanitized pool has no need to remove phosphates because the algae is no there. Before TFP, I bought a $50-$60 bottle of that stuff and other items that I now understand was just money in their pocket. Your SWG and/or regular liquid bleach are all the sanitation you need. :) Oh, by the way, when you do the OCLT, make sure you turn-off the SWG or set it to zero! Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the OLCT. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, what Tim said! :)

Do me a favor and use muratic acid to bring the pH down to about 7.2 and hold it there. You may have calcium clouding due to the high CH. You can do that during the day today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.