Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Results look ok but water is cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Results look ok but water is cloudy

Hi All,

We're having a bit of a problem with how cloudy our water is even though I think the test results look ok.

PH 7.6
    FC 3.5ppm
    CYA 70 ppm
    TA 110
    CH 750

CH is due to the pool being just a few months old.

Also, how often should we be shocking the pool?

Thanks for the help!
    My Pool: 19,000 gallon In-Ground Screen Enclosed, Finish: NPT StoneScapes Mini Pebble Tropics Blue, Controller/Heater: Hayward ProLogic P4 w/T-15 SWG
    Pool Filter: Hayward Cartridge Star Clear Plus, Pool Pump: Hayward VSP SP3400VSP, No Spa, TF-100 Test Kit.
    Pool Installation: Plaster Complete 5/23/2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Results look ok but water is cloudy

Salt Level: 3300 ppm according to Hayward Aquapod reading
    My Pool: 19,000 gallon In-Ground Screen Enclosed, Finish: NPT StoneScapes Mini Pebble Tropics Blue, Controller/Heater: Hayward ProLogic P4 w/T-15 SWG
    Pool Filter: Hayward Cartridge Star Clear Plus, Pool Pump: Hayward VSP SP3400VSP, No Spa, TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Marshall. The days of "shocking" your pool are gone with TFP. But if the FC ever gets too low and algae sets-in, then we SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Your FC is at the low end for sure. Maybe something is starting to brew. You could bump-up (boost) the FC from the SWG or augment it with some regular bleach for a bit to see if that helps. Perhaps even do an OCLT to ensure there are no organics starting to grow. A high CH can also contribute to cloudiness, but I'm not so sure that's the culprit as of yet. Ruling-out algae/organics would be my first course of action. Next time you post results, please add the CC reading as well. That will help in our evaluation.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you for the response!

CC: 0ppm

so it looks like we need to boost the FC a bit - we'll start there. not sure what OCLT is but I'll research it, we're concerned about the possibility of algae as well.

5. Back To Top    #5

FC gets taken either by sunlight or organics. The overnight chlorine loss test is what we commonly use to rule-out algae eating chlorine. When performing the OLCT, remember that it must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting (bedtime) FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

got it, we'll elevate FC tonight and do an OCLT.

my wife said the pool store told her it could be due to a high phosphate level and they sold her "super phosphate remover". any thoughts on this?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall70 View Post
    got it, we'll elevate FC tonight and do an OCLT.

my wife said the pool store told her it could be due to a high phosphate level and they sold her "super phosphate remover". any thoughts on this?
    It's a way for the pool store owner to make his boat payment. In a properly chlorinated pool you do not need to worry about phosphates.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

Phosphate removers are really not needed. Save your $$. Phosphates are nothing more than food for algae. A properly maintained and sanitized pool has no need to remove phosphates because the algae is no there. Before TFP, I bought a $50-$60 bottle of that stuff and other items that I now understand was just money in their pocket. Your SWG and/or regular liquid bleach are all the sanitation you need. Oh, by the way, when you do the OCLT, make sure you turn-off the SWG or set it to zero! Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the OLCT. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, what Tim said!

9. Back To Top    #9

got it!

I'll make sure it's shut off and do it tonight. Thank you.

10. Back To Top    #10

Do me a favor and use muratic acid to bring the pH down to about 7.2 and hold it there. You may have calcium clouding due to the high CH. You can do that during the day today.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

why would CH be high in a new pool? is the water you added high?
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.