Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Aquarite SWCG cycle times

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Aquarite SWCG cycle times

With my new pool pump installed I now control pump run time and SWCG run time independently. I would like to set up the SWCG so that it only runs one cycle reverses polarity and runs another cycle. My search has turned up conflicting information on how much SWCG run time this would require.

It's a new Hayward Aquarite SWCG with a T-15 cell. It's also oversized for the pool so there is no worry of it not generating enough chlorine even on a short daily run time. I was running it 9 hours a day at 20%. I just want it to run on both polarities once daily and be done. My theory is that it will be easier on the unit long term because it will require less power cycles and the controller will be powered fewer hours per day during afternoon lightning.

So, what are the generation cycle times? My research seems to indicate it may be 180 minutes per polarity. Also, if it only runs 180 minutes per day and is then de-powered will it use the opposite polarity the following day?
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Aquarite SWCG cycle times

The newer units have a cycle time of 180 minutes. If the cycle completes or the power is turned off and back on, the polarity will reverse.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks James.

So let's say in theory the unit could be set to run for exactly 181 minutes per day. It would run for 180 minutes on a polarity we will call "A" for convenience. It would then run for 1 minute on "B" and then be powered off for the remainder of the day. The next morning it would automatically switch from "B" since that was in use when it was powered off to "A" and again run for 180 minutes.

I only ask because this is exactly what I want to avoid to increase the longevity of the unit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Correct, to avoid that situation, you could use a powered on time of 170 minutes to make sure that it does not hit the 180 minutes.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Correct, to avoid that situation, you could use a powered on time of 170 minutes to make sure that it does not hit the 180 minutes.
    Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you called Hayward technical support about this? Or perhaps contact user Hayward Pool who is a former Hayward tech.

It doesn't make sense to me that if you cut the power before the second 180min cycle completes that the cell reverts back to the original plates. I have a Pentair IC40 and the onboard logic has an EEPROM that stores all previous state info. The cycle time for the Pentair IC's is 4 hours after the initial 1st month break-in period. Hayward and Pentair are similar sized companies and I would expect their cell designs to use similar logic and operations.

Just my $0.02 opinion...

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Have you called Hayward technical support about this? Or perhaps contact user Hayward Pool who is a former Hayward tech.
    I have not.

However, forum member who represents themselves as being employed by Hayward was kind enough to send me a private message regarding this issue after reading my initial post. It reads in part:

"If you are running the system for 9 hours per day at 20%, you are producing chlorine for 36 minutes for every 3 hours of runtime. After 3 hours, the unit will automatically reverse polarity and run for 36 minutes of the next 3 hour cycle. Because you are running for 9 hours per day, you produce on one polarity twice one day and the other polarity once. On the second day, you'll have the opposite."

I've gone with just under 180 minutes for the SWCG run time and tripled the output which should result in the same amount of chlorine production with only 3 hours of power to the unit per day. This should also allow equal use on both polarities.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. That makes more sense to me. It's not counting actual time that the plates are energized, it's basing its reversals on how long the cell is energized whether the SWG is producing chlorine or not.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Just so everyone is on the same page and I understand what is being asked. The unit will reverse polarity every 3 hrs (older units were 2hrs). They will also reverse polarity ever time the unit shuts down and turns back on.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com