Bought my first house with a pool

Romer

Jun 27, 2015
Little Falls,NJ
My wife and I purchased our first home with a pool this past August. I knew maintaining a pool required work, but like anything new, there's so much that I need to learn. I've been reading up on some stuff especially since finding out this site.

I've had problems initially with stubborn algae spots at the bottom. I've brushed, vaccumed and shocked the pool a couple of times but they just keep coming back every morning. I don't have the TFT-100 kit yet(just ordered), so I've been relying on the pool store and a basic Taylor pH and chlorine test. what I'm getting from the Taylor vs Pool Store test result in pH are so different.

pH- 7.5(Taylor kit) vs. 8.5(Pool store test)
FC- >5(Taylor) vs. 14ppm(Pool store test)
TA- 160(Taylor) vs. 74(Pool store)
CYA- 141(Pool store)

Now that summer is ending, I figured it's a good time to remove a good amount of the water to lower CYA levels. Once I get the TFT-100 kit I can get a more consistent accurate results and properly close the pool.

Welcome to TFP!

I'd suggest holding off on doing too much about the CYA. This test especially pool stores get wrong.

Since you have the TF-100 on it's way, just keep adding liquid chlorine until it arrives, then post a set of results from that. We'll be better able to help you then.