Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bought my first house with a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought my first house with a pool

My wife and I purchased our first home with a pool this past August. I knew maintaining a pool required work, but like anything new, there's so much that I need to learn. I've been reading up on some stuff especially since finding out this site.

I've had problems initially with stubborn algae spots at the bottom. I've brushed, vaccumed and shocked the pool a couple of times but they just keep coming back every morning. I don't have the TFT-100 kit yet(just ordered), so I've been relying on the pool store and a basic Taylor pH and chlorine test. what I'm getting from the Taylor vs Pool Store test result in pH are so different.

pH- 7.5(Taylor kit) vs. 8.5(Pool store test)
    FC- >5(Taylor) vs. 14ppm(Pool store test)
    TA- 160(Taylor) vs. 74(Pool store)
    CYA- 141(Pool store)

Now that summer is ending, I figured it's a good time to remove a good amount of the water to lower CYA levels. Once I get the TFT-100 kit I can get a more consistent accurate results and properly close the pool.
    In-ground Clayton-Lambert Plaster built 1965?
    Capacity: 20,400 Filter: Sand
    Pump: Hayward Max-Flo II
    1 skimmer & 1 return - Floating chlorinator - TFT-100 Test Kit on the way...currently using Taylor pH, Chlorine and TA test and Pool store test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought my first house with a pool

Welcome to TFP!

I'd suggest holding off on doing too much about the CYA. This test especially pool stores get wrong.

Since you have the TF-100 on it's way, just keep adding liquid chlorine until it arrives, then post a set of results from that. We'll be better able to help you then.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. Also I stopped using the Chlorine pucks as to not increase the CYA any higher just in case it is really high.
    1 skimmer & 1 return - Floating chlorinator - TFT-100 Test Kit on the way...currently using Taylor pH, Chlorine and TA test and Pool store test.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool! You are on the right track.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats on pool. Despite the work, they are awesome.
    Lot's of pool smart folks here, they will get you squared away.
    IG: 15000 Gal. Plaster. DE. 1992. Spa. Pump----(Will check brand and update). Heater. TF-100 Kit w Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

And once you get it in balance, it shouldn't be more than a few minutes a day and vacuuming time once in a while.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you. I will definitely have a lot of questions and glad to join this community and get some pool knowledge.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Romer,
    welcome to TFP and congrtulations on buying your first house.

it sounds as if you have done your homework. You'll find the test kit and pool math to be invaluable.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!