Forgot to check pH BEFORE adding chlorine to SLAM...

Jul 27, 2015
Corona, CA
I have had a rough time this summer! We put up our Intex 18' x 48" pool in June. It was going great until a freak storm (we NEVER have rain in July in So Cal!) flipped the switch on the pump and it was off for a week before I realized it! This was the beginning of my ALGAE BATTLE. Anyhoo, it's been an uphill battle since then as I am the sole caretaker of the pool and have not been able to devote the time necessary. I've been buying bleach by the 3-pack at Sam's Club and have tried SLAMing twice now, but due to my inability to follow through, I've not killed all the algae. Today, my hubby was off and able to keep my 13-month-old occupied while I went out to the pool for an hour or so. I cleaned the cartridge filter, brushed, poured in the two bottles of bleach as recommended by PoolMath (or so I thought) and then tested... WHAT AN IDIOT. WHY DIDN'T I TEST BEFORE?!?!

Anyway, I figured I only needed to know my FC, CC, pH, and CYA. So, that's all I tested for. Ugh. I'm sooo learning this the hard way. My FC an hour after pouring in the bleach was 20, CC 1, CYA 30, and pH was off the chart. Duh. I just dumped in two bottles of bleach. Apparently, I like to learn lessons the expensive way :brickwall:

Can anyone give me some better direction on when I can test again and get a more reliable pH? Also, my Taylor K-2006 kit came with mini bottles of reagents, so I'm out of the CYA reagent. Can I expect that number to stay the same with the large amount of chlorine I just dumped in? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! I purchased some muriatic acid and some stabilizer to use tomorrow once I get some sound advice. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
FC must be below 10 before the pH test will read accurately. If you are doing a SLAM I would strongly advise ordering a set of refills for FC, CC and CYA tests for the K-2006 as you will likely run out before you get done with the SLAM.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.