Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Forgot to check pH BEFORE adding chlorine to SLAM...

1. Back To Top    #1

Forgot to check pH BEFORE adding chlorine to SLAM...

I have had a rough time this summer! We put up our Intex 18' x 48" pool in June. It was going great until a freak storm (we NEVER have rain in July in So Cal!) flipped the switch on the pump and it was off for a week before I realized it! This was the beginning of my ALGAE BATTLE. Anyhoo, it's been an uphill battle since then as I am the sole caretaker of the pool and have not been able to devote the time necessary. I've been buying bleach by the 3-pack at Sam's Club and have tried SLAMing twice now, but due to my inability to follow through, I've not killed all the algae. Today, my hubby was off and able to keep my 13-month-old occupied while I went out to the pool for an hour or so. I cleaned the cartridge filter, brushed, poured in the two bottles of bleach as recommended by PoolMath (or so I thought) and then tested... WHAT AN IDIOT. WHY DIDN'T I TEST BEFORE?!?!

Anyway, I figured I only needed to know my FC, CC, pH, and CYA. So, that's all I tested for. Ugh. I'm sooo learning this the hard way. My FC an hour after pouring in the bleach was 20, CC 1, CYA 30, and pH was off the chart. Duh. I just dumped in two bottles of bleach. Apparently, I like to learn lessons the expensive way

Can anyone give me some better direction on when I can test again and get a more reliable pH? Also, my Taylor K-2006 kit came with mini bottles of reagents, so I'm out of the CYA reagent. Can I expect that number to stay the same with the large amount of chlorine I just dumped in? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! I purchased some muriatic acid and some stabilizer to use tomorrow once I get some sound advice. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by SadieMcGee13; 09-07-2015 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Forgot some info
    18' x 48" Intex AG, 6700g
    1500gph Intex cartridge pump, SWG
    Installed June 2015 w/ city water (on restrictions)
    Taylor FAS-DPD 2006 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Forgot to check pH BEFORE adding chlorine to SLAM...

FC must be below 10 before the pH test will read accurately. If you are doing a SLAM I would strongly advise ordering a set of refills for FC, CC and CYA tests for the K-2006 as you will likely run out before you get done with the SLAM.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

For the CYA question. Yes, it normally will stay pretty stable. Really only changes when you add CYA or if there is a large amount of water change. Like splash out or drainage.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, ordered refills. Will check numbers again today to determine how much muriatic acid to add. Thank you both.
    18' x 48" Intex AG, 6700g
    1500gph Intex cartridge pump, SWG
    Installed June 2015 w/ city water (on restrictions)
    Taylor FAS-DPD 2006 kit