Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium level high

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium level high

Took my first readings with TF-100 test kit. Read instructions and watched videos which were very helpful.
    pH- 7.5
    FC 4ppm
    CC 1.5
    CYA 60 ppm
    TA 70
    salt 3600
    Calcium hardness 475

Calcium was pretty high but I am not noticing any significant scaling. Should I do anything about this or let it ride? If I need to do something how would I correct it? Do I just drain pool some and then add water to dilute it? Thanks!
    Built 11/2009; 16x25 IG free form with raised spa and spillover; 10,500 gal; gunite color quartz plaster finish; flagstone coping; travertine deck; Hayward NorthStar 2.5HP pump; U.S. motors 2HP motor; Hayward 525sf Swimclear cartridge filter; Autopilot salt chlorine generator; Autopilot pool chemistry controller; Polaris 3900 sport pool cleaner; Polaris PB4-60 pool cleaner motor(booster pump); Hayward 400K BTU heater, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium level high

Quote Originally Posted by MCarr View Post
    Took my first readings with TF-100 test kit. Read instructions and watched videos which were very helpful.
    pH- 7.5
    FC 4ppm
    CC 1.5
    CYA 60 ppm
    TA 70
    salt 3600
    Calcium hardness 475

Calcium was pretty high but I am not noticing any significant scaling. Should I do anything about this or let it ride? If I need to do something how would I correct it? Do I just drain pool some and then add water to dilute it? Thanks!
    Your CSI based on those numbers is -0.17. You are not in danger of scaling. Your CH could go as high as 725ppm and you'd still be near 0 CSI. The only way to lower calcium hardness is to drain and replace pool water with a low CH source.

If you're concerned about calcium, what is the CH of your fill water? That will tell you a lot about where you can expect your CH to go in the future.

The more alarming number I see is your CC's are 1.5ppm. That's a bit elevated and is indicative of organics being oxidized by chlorine. That number should typically be 0.5ppm or less.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Calcium level high

Thanks, I appreciate the help!
    Built 11/2009; 16x25 IG free form with raised spa and spillover; 10,500 gal; gunite color quartz plaster finish; flagstone coping; travertine deck; Hayward NorthStar 2.5HP pump; U.S. motors 2HP motor; Hayward 525sf Swimclear cartridge filter; Autopilot salt chlorine generator; Autopilot pool chemistry controller; Polaris 3900 sport pool cleaner; Polaris PB4-60 pool cleaner motor(booster pump); Hayward 400K BTU heater, TF-100 test kit