Muriatic Acid GREEN

Marci M

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Kapolei, Hawaii
This is the first time since converting to TFP that I need to add muriatic acid to my pool.

I realized that I may have bought the wrong product. Is there anything wrong with using muriatic acid Green?

Also, the warnings say to not mix the product with chlorine products, but I need to add bleach too.

Any advice would be helpful.

The acid I buy has a blue label (full strength) and a green label that's half strength. Since they are both the same price, I buy the blue. Either way just make sure to put the right strength into pool math. As for adding bleach, wait 30 minutes after adding one before adding the other.

I use Jasco Green Muriatic Acid. It's only 20% as opposed to the regular 31.45% but they promise less fumes and I think that's true. Dosage is roughly 1.5 times that of 31.45% acid, so it's easier to estimate how much to pour in.

Marci, you can probably use it since you bought it (unless you return it), but in the future you may want to look for products directly suited for pool use. Usually they have it in their pool supply section. Like Richard notes in post #5, you're paying more for water and/or other ingredients and not actually receiving the MA strength you could be getting. When I go to their web site, I get these two pieces of info:
Hydrochloric acid {Hydrogen chloride} <30.0 % MW4025000
Additional Chemical Specific percentage of composition is being withheld as a trade secret.
I'm never thrilled with that "trade secret" secret squirrel lingo.
FAQ: How much Hydrochloric acid is in Klean Strip® Green™ Muriatic Acid? Answer-This product contains 20% Hydrochloric acid.
So you're really not getting the best value for your money.

Yup. I looked up the MSDS and it says <25%.

The "green" label is just a marketing ploy. And "green", really? It's still hazardous at any strength.

And when it comes to chlorine, I will pay a tad more for higher percent stuff just to be "green" about recycling plastic. People who desire to be environmentally conscious, need to become educated.

Rant over.

But you're paying acid prices for water.

Nope, if that was what I was paying for I would just mix down the acid myself.

What I am paying a tiny premium for is reducing my exposure to the nasty fumes of the full strength MA. That happens not only because of the reduced fumes from the liquid, but also because it's easier to estimate the right quantity when it's not so strong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But you're paying acid prices for water. Compare prices. Lowes sells both for the same price!

I'm also in So. California. The Lowe's and Home Depot in my neighborhood both stopped selling the 31% stuff a few years ago. I thought it was a regulatory thing.

I buy my acid from a pool store, but it would be more convenient to get it at Lowe's.

Hi,
I just called JASCO and they refused to give me the concentration. "IT's a Trade Secret"...

Have any of you chemists tested the actual percentage?? High School Chemistry, right?? Let's PUBLISH it..

Local LOWES has Blue label 31.5% but sometimes not in stock. Got some from masonry supply store..
What a waste of time...

Hi,
I just called JASCO and they refused to give me the concentration. "IT's a Trade Secret"...

Have any of you chemists tested the actual percentage?? High School Chemistry, right?? Let's PUBLISH it..

Local LOWES has Blue label 31.5% but sometimes not in stock. Got some from masonry supply store..
What a waste of time...

JASCO green...It's listed on the SDS as less than 30% http://www.jasco-help.com/uploads/documents/GJGMA420_SDS-903D.pdf
It's listed on their website in the product FAQ section as 20%. Jasco | Jasco® Green™ Muriatic Acid
"What’s the percentage of hydrochloric acid in Jasco® Green™ Muriatic Acid?
It’s 20% hydrochloric acid."

I'm also in So. California. The Lowe's and Home Depot in my neighborhood both stopped selling the 31% stuff a few years ago. I thought it was a regulatory thing.

I buy my acid from a pool store, but it would be more convenient to get it at Lowe's.

Me, too. I was told by employees at both HD and Lowe's that it was regulatory, but I doubt that's true. Perhaps that's what they've been told by their bosses, but...

I just get mine at Leslie's (/shudder) now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.