Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid GREEN

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid GREEN

This is the first time since converting to TFP that I need to add muriatic acid to my pool.

I realized that I may have bought the wrong product. Is there anything wrong with using muriatic acid Green?

Also, the warnings say to not mix the product with chlorine products, but I need to add bleach too.

Any advice would be helpful.
    13 K gallons, in ground, rectangle, 14 x 30 Vinyl, single main drain, Sand filter, Hayward Tablet Chlorinator, Pentair Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid GREEN

Marci, can you tell us which brand exactly you purchased? I'm seeing more than one manufacture for a green muriatic acid out there. Might help as we confirm the ingredients.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The acid I buy has a blue label (full strength) and a green label that's half strength. Since they are both the same price, I buy the blue. Either way just make sure to put the right strength into pool math. As for adding bleach, wait 30 minutes after adding one before adding the other.
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I use Jasco Green Muriatic Acid. It's only 20% as opposed to the regular 31.45% but they promise less fumes and I think that's true. Dosage is roughly 1.5 times that of 31.45% acid, so it's easier to estimate how much to pour in.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
    I use Jasco Green Muriatic Acid. It's only 20% as opposed to the regular 31.45% but they promise less fumes and I think that's true. Dosage is roughly 1.5 times that of 31.45% acid, so it's easier to estimate how much to pour in.
    But you're paying acid prices for water. Compare prices. Lowes sells both for the same price!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

It was the only type of Muriatic Acid I could find at the time. It's Klean Strip Green, 128 oz bottle, green ans blue lable. I can't find the percentage of muriatic acid on the lable.
    13 K gallons, in ground, rectangle, 14 x 30 Vinyl, single main drain, Sand filter, Hayward Tablet Chlorinator, Pentair Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Marci, you can probably use it since you bought it (unless you return it), but in the future you may want to look for products directly suited for pool use. Usually they have it in their pool supply section. Like Richard notes in post #5, you're paying more for water and/or other ingredients and not actually receiving the MA strength you could be getting. When I go to their web site, I get these two pieces of info:
    Hydrochloric acid {Hydrogen chloride} <30.0 % MW4025000
    Additional Chemical Specific percentage of composition is being withheld as a trade secret.
    I'm never thrilled with that "trade secret" secret squirrel lingo.
    FAQ: How much Hydrochloric acid is in Klean Strip® Green™ Muriatic Acid? Answer-This product contains 20% Hydrochloric acid.
    So you're really not getting the best value for your money.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yup. I looked up the MSDS and it says <25%.

The "green" label is just a marketing ploy. And "green", really? It's still hazardous at any strength.

And when it comes to chlorine, I will pay a tad more for higher percent stuff just to be "green" about recycling plastic. People who desire to be environmentally conscious, need to become educated.

Rant over.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    But you're paying acid prices for water.
    Nope, if that was what I was paying for I would just mix down the acid myself.

What I am paying a tiny premium for is reducing my exposure to the nasty fumes of the full strength MA. That happens not only because of the reduced fumes from the liquid, but also because it's easier to estimate the right quantity when it's not so strong.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    But you're paying acid prices for water. Compare prices. Lowes sells both for the same price!
    I'm also in So. California. The Lowe's and Home Depot in my neighborhood both stopped selling the 31% stuff a few years ago. I thought it was a regulatory thing.

I buy my acid from a pool store, but it would be more convenient to get it at Lowe's.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi,
    I just called JASCO and they refused to give me the concentration. "IT's a Trade Secret"...

Have any of you chemists tested the actual percentage?? High School Chemistry, right?? Let's PUBLISH it..

Local LOWES has Blue label 31.5% but sometimes not in stock. Got some from masonry supply store..
    What a waste of time...
    Regards, Terry King ...In The Woods In Vermont
    Building 18x33 OnGround. Will have: Balanced pH, CYA, ALK, Borate. Arduino automated chlorine dose (8.25% Bleach)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by terryking View Post
    Hi,
    I just called JASCO and they refused to give me the concentration. "IT's a Trade Secret"...

Have any of you chemists tested the actual percentage?? High School Chemistry, right?? Let's PUBLISH it..

Local LOWES has Blue label 31.5% but sometimes not in stock. Got some from masonry supply store..
    What a waste of time...
    JASCO green...It's listed on the SDS as less than 30% http://www.jasco-help.com/uploads/do...0_SDS-903D.pdf
    It's listed on their website in the product FAQ section as 20%. Jasco | Jasco® Green™ Muriatic Acid
    "What’s the percentage of hydrochloric acid in Jasco® Green™ Muriatic Acid?
    It’s 20% hydrochloric acid."
    Kristin in Henderson NV. Newly Renovated 07/2017, built 99/00, owned since 2012. 15k free form, IG Gunite, Barbados Blue Quartzscapes Plaster, Hayward Cartridge filter, Hayward variable speed pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Walnut Travertine deck & coping.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by peterl1365 View Post
    I'm also in So. California. The Lowe's and Home Depot in my neighborhood both stopped selling the 31% stuff a few years ago. I thought it was a regulatory thing.

I buy my acid from a pool store, but it would be more convenient to get it at Lowe's.

Me, too. I was told by employees at both HD and Lowe's that it was regulatory, but I doubt that's true. Perhaps that's what they've been told by their bosses, but...

I just get mine at Leslie's (/shudder) now.
    16.5K gal, IG, plaster pool w- spillover spa (30 years old), muni water, Hayward DE4820 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP 011018 (Primary), Pentair Whisperflo 1-1/2 HP 011514 (for spa jets), Hayward H250FDN Low-Nox Heater, Hayward PoolVac Plus cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit
    *Completely drained, acid washed and refilled 4/2017

15. Back To Top    #15

It's less acid for the same price .... darn it!

I bought some klean strip green acid from HD the other day. It's 20%, slightly cheaper than the 14.5% outside in the pool section for the acid... still not happy about it.

In Ground Gunite Pool - UNDER CONSTRUCTION. 40x15 rectangle 3.5/5/4 sport, plus 20x5 shelf.
    Pentair TR-140 Sand Filter, Intelliflow VS Pump, Easy Touch 4, 6 GloBright LED's, Rebel Cleaner with Autofill

16. Back To Top    #16

Not unlike Clorox brand bleach suddenly going *back* to 6% strength recently. What's up with *That*!?!

Maddie
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

17. Back To Top    #17

Seriously!

In Ground Gunite Pool - UNDER CONSTRUCTION. 40x15 rectangle 3.5/5/4 sport, plus 20x5 shelf.
    Pentair TR-140 Sand Filter, Intelliflow VS Pump, Easy Touch 4, 6 GloBright LED's, Rebel Cleaner with Autofill

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Not unlike Clorox brand bleach suddenly going *back* to 6% strength recently. What's up with *That*!?!

Maddie
    Yeah that's a scam. Most people will never notice and they get away with charging the same or more for less chlorine. Shame on Costco and others for accepting that nonsense.
    23k gal IG, plaster; IntelliPro 4 x 160 Variable Speed; STA-RITE S7M120 300 sqft cartridge filter; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; Pentair EasyTouch; Maytronics Dolphin Triton Plus robotic cleaner named "Domo" (arigato Mr. Roboto); Hot Spring Vanguard Spa, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir, SampleSizer w/Taylor Calibrated Cylinders and FlowVis Flow Meter from TFTestkits.net. Auto fill and Auto drain. Chlorine / CYA Chart