in-floor not moving much dirt or leaves into the drain

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
we've had our pool in for a couple of months and haven't been happy with the cleaning system. yesterday the kids broke a styrophome kickboard into little pieces into the pool and it didn't pick all of it up with the skimmer last night. I imagine that's due to them getting stuck to the tile, so we might just have to brush the sides and skim the pool more. also, taking kids toys out of the pool will help with leaves not collecting on the pool toys will help as far as skimming. our bigger problem is the in-floor. we made sure to get the Paramount PV-3 and triple checked that they installed the correct system. they do blow a lot of air through them but how the dirt doesn't make it to the drain is beyond me. i brushed some dirt (or algae?) towards the drain a couple of days ago and it still hasn't been picked up. is the MD-X drain the problem? do the heads need to be pointed in a certain directions? we told the super from the beginning, and recently, that we rn't satisfied with the in-floor and he assures us that until we get grass in the backyard (we have just a few more weeks until sod is finally laid) we will have dirt in the pool. I'm not buying it because when we left for 4 days and neighbors said no storms or dust storms, the dirt seemed to be in the same places as when we left 4 days earlier. the theory of our dirt backyard isn't convincing me. does the system work or not? how long should it take to work? how many deadspots is typical in a 40 x 12' rectangle pool with a 4 x 7' baja step? I'm really disappointed so far and when i wanted to at least let the pb owner know we're not happy, my husband doesn't think we have a foot to stand on with the dirt backyard, and to wait. someone told me we should turn the heads to try to point them so that they work together. I also read on the forum that u need a tool to turn them, so not sure of what my next steps should be; take it up higher to the pb owner or try to see if i can turn the heads and figure it out little by little that way. how long should it take for dirt to get sucked up into the drain? (I also have a drain on the wall). thanku!

they do blow a lot of air through them but how the dirt doesn't make it to the drain is beyond me.

I'll admit upfront that I know next-to-nothing about in-floor cleaners but are you saying that your cleaning heads are blowing air bubbles out of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new to the whole pool ownership thing, but I can tell you our in-floor system isn't very effective. I still have to brush the walls/floor and vacuum weekly. I'm about 98% sure that a Dolphin robot is in our future. I just can't stand jumping into a pool and seeing debris fly up.

Joyfulnoise, i'm not sure if i'd say air bubbles, although i have seen bubbles at times from the kitchen window. it blows what seems like a good pressure of water, i guess. i must've misspoken.

hammer49. do u think u will ask for some of the money back? they said ours was guaranteed to clean 99% of the pool. there's no way it's cleaning 99%. i wish i had something more clear in writing and i always wondered about that. the warranty doesn't say how long it will take or anything like that.

Well, as long as it's not an air leak then I guess everything is ok.

As I said I know nothing about in-floors except what I have read here. I believe if you contact Paramount directly then they may be able to help you. My understanding is that they are one of only a few in-floor companies and I think I read somewhere that they supposedly custom design these systems based on what PBs send to them for designs. So if your PB can't help you, then try calling up Paramount. The last thing they want is a disgruntled customer bad-mouthing their product online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is the distribution valve for the cleaning heads located? Did you see the engineering diagram from paramount and ensure the pool builder executed against the plan? What RPM are you running your pump and how long (high speed cleaning)?

That being said, you will always have dead spots, but the system should get you fairly good cleaning most of the time.

The main issue is, are the floor heads all working in the proper rotation? You will have to watch them to find out. Then, are they all pushing out water? Are they rotating individually every time the pop up. Are they all poping up? Finally, and I hope this isn't it, I've seen systems where the PB crossed the floor head piping and in doing so makes the system not clean correctly. Oh yeah, you have to have suction at the main drain!

Outdoors gal, I've had the same issues with my infloor and just recently got it working right after 2 years. We have 2 "fixed" heads near the main drain and according to PB last trip these 2 heads were moving debris past the drain rather than allowing it to go into the drain. We shut the fixed heads off and it is working better now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.