Sta-Rite System 3 backwash

JoeNC

Sep 6, 2015
Charlotte
I am trying to drain some of my pool to lower my CYA. I have a Sta-Rite System 3 two cartridge filter and it has a drain plug on one side. I usually just stick the vacuum hose inside of this plug to divert the water away from my house when I'm cleaning the cartridges. (the hose doesn't fit perfectly, so some water spills out the sides) Now, I'm trying to remove about 5,000 gallons from the pool and was wondering if there was some type of hose I could put into this drain plug that fits exactly? I saw some flat backwash hoses, but i'm not sure how I would attach these since I just have an open hole at the drain plug. Thanks.

The drain plug is likely just standard NPT pipe thread. You could take the plug to your local hardware store and match the diameter and thread pitch to one of many different types of adapters.

However, given the size limitation of the drain plug, the water flow is going to be exceptionally slow. Why not just rent a submersible pump that's rated at a few thousand gallons per hour and be done with it? Most Lowes and Home Depots have equipment rental departments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filter-drain.jpg

I have the same filter and this is what I have. That drain is 1 1/2" FPT (female pipe thread). So I got a threaded bushing that was 1 1/2" by 3/4" and screwed it into the drain hole. Next, I screwed in a 3/4" elbow that was threaded on one end and slip (requires PVC glue) on the other into that bushing. I then glued a 3/4" slip by GHT (garden hose thread) so that I could attach an ordinary garden hose. Everything you need is at your closest home center. If the PVC garden hose thread fitting isn't with all the plumbing, try looking in the sprinkler/irrigation section of the store.

I just found that mine is plumbed, too:

I think mine goes to the sewer.

The submersible pump would probably be faster and require a lot less running of your main pump. With my inefficient old monster, it might save money to rent one.

A bunch of people on the forum have either rented them or bought one; Harbor Freight apparently has an inexpensive submersible pump and then you have one whenever you happen to need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.