Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: salt level low

1. Back To Top    #1

Surprise Arizona

salt level low

I changed the times that I run the pump due to less electricity cost and now my salt level, which was at 2900 is now 2400. If I run pump during the day, will the salt level adjust itself. If not, what do I do to get it back to where it should be?

2. Back To Top    #2

Roseville, CA

Re: salt level low

That should not have changed.

What is your PH? Sometimes a falling salt level is a signal that your SWG is not operating efficiently and needs cleaning. A high PH can accelerate clogging in your cell.
    SWG: CircuPool SI30+Plus; Recommended Levels: Salt 3000-4000, 3500 is ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.5-7.8; TA 100; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter
    TAYLOR K - 2006

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

salt level low

What are your water temperatures like during the day and overnight, especially when the cell is running?

If your salt level is on the low end and the water temp drops, SWGs that are not temperature compensated will show a salt level that drops with temperature. It's not actually the salt that is changing, it's the conductivity of the water that is changing. Warmer water conducts electricity better than colder water and the SWG will register that as a drop in salinity.

Do you have a salt test kit (K-1766)? You need to check your salt level and see if adding salt to make the SWG happy is possible. If your true salt level is normal or high and the cell is saying its low, then the cell either needs to be cleaned or it is dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP?

The two are unrelated. How are you testing salt? Most salt tests are +/-400 ppm and are really only intended to keep you in the ballpark. Is your SWG happy? Making chlorine? Giving a low salt error? Have you checked for scale on the plates? What is the ideal range for your swg?

If the SWG is happy and making chlorine then be happy.
    If it is giving low salt error and the plates are clean then add salt up to the low end of the recommended range for your swg or around 3000 ppm. Most SWGs have recommended range of 2800-4500 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Pump run time and salt level are not related. Do you have a pool service or are you managing your pool?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hope Mills, NC

The display on the SWG screen is an average over the past "X" hhours. Maybe that average changes with run time, I dont know.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG