Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing CYA with melamine

1. Back To Top    #1
    Mobile, Alabama

Removing CYA with melamine

I was doing some research into the CYA test and learned that melamine is used to precipitate the CYA and the turbidity produced is used to estimate the amount of CYA. It occurs to me that melamine might be effective in removing or reducing the CYA levels in a pool. That would avoid having to drain and refill when the CYA gets too high. Has anyone tried this? Is there some reason it cannot or should not be done?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Removing CYA with melamine

While completely possible in theory, it doesn't work out so well in practice. To begin with melamine is poisonous and somewhat expensive in the quantities required. There is also the problem of getting the resulting white powder out of the water, which is a project in it's self.

There was a product on the market for a while that removed CYA, but it failed, apparently because it was expensive and often caused new problems. I think it used melamine, along with some other things that were supposed to make it simpler to get the resulting powder out of the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School