Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wanting to convert back to chlorine ..

1. Back To Top    #1

Wanting to convert back to chlorine ..

I'm new on forum - I'm here because we want to convert back to chlorine - from Bacquil(so?). I'll check to see if there is a previous thread on this but wanted to introduce myself...
    We have a 15,000 gallon above ground pool.
    ​JAKS

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Wanting to convert back to chlorine ..

There is actually a whole section of pool school dedicated to it! Enjoy and welcome!!

Here you go: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

We can help you with that conversion. Grab a pint of Blue Bell and settle back to read this article from Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks - I have read the article - I've ordered a test kit ...not sure how the math works on getting the correct amount of chlorine/bleach to start? I'm "Poolmath" challenged...

Other sites recommend a non chlorine shock before starting adding chlorine?

Can the pool be used during the conversion process?
    ​JAKS

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks View Post
    not sure how the math works on getting the correct amount of chlorine/bleach to start? I'm "Poolmath" challenged...
    How many gallons in your pool?

This is where many folks get into trouble, trying to "blend" advice from multiple sites. If you are going to follow our advice, stick to chlorine.

Can the pool be used during the conversion process?
    That would be no. Once you pour the chlorine in you will understand why.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks
    Echoing what Tim said, it's best to avoid commingling advice from different sites/sources - you are likely to run into conflicts which will stall your progress. I would recommend following the process outlined in the Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine article.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.