Winterball

I don't winterized my pool but that gizmo sounds like gimmick to me. TFP does not recommend the use of enzymes and I'm not at all sure what difference enzymes would make in freezing cold pool water as algae is not at all active.

Save your money and buy more bleach with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Joyful that it appears to be just one more "Gimmick" that's out there.

There are, however, 6 reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Halosource-Wi...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending 4 of which claim it works, but I can't say for certain if it does. I'd definitely want to know What are the Nature Enzymes that are in it, (as an ingredients list is not in the ad) because you certainly don't want to use something that will throw your levels way off or add things to your pool that you don't want in there.

All it does is slowly release some enzyme that does... something? I have seen several types of this but have never used it. I close every year (kind of a requirement in Ohio) and for the past 4 years running have only raised my FC to SLAM level for 24 hours before closing. No algaecide or special gimmicks like winterizing balls or MPS dispensers. Every year I have done this I have opened to a clear pool, typically with a still readable FC level.

As I said, I do not close. But it seems to me from all that I have read on TFP is that, if you're willing to tough it out for a few weeks maintaining a cold pool that no one wants to swim in and you close the pool below 60F, then you've got a greater chance of not having green water. This would also assume that you open the pool before the water temps hit 60F as well.

So isn't it really water temperature (and good closing SLAM) that makes the difference? That's how I see it.

As I said, I do not close. But it seems to me from all that I have read on TFP is that, if you're willing to tough it out for a few weeks maintaining a cold pool that no one wants to swim in and you close the pool below 60F, then you've got a greater chance of not having green water. This would also assume that you open the pool before the water temps hit 60F as well.

So isn't it really water temperature (and good closing SLAM) that makes the difference? That's how I see it.

I agree 100%. I think that is the key to prevent opening to a green pool, regardless of whether there are winter gimmicks placed in there or not. The reviews that say it worked could have shut down below 60 degrees, and reopened at below 60 degrees, and only thought it worked, when in fact, they would have opened to a clear pool anyway.

We honestly do not get all that cold where I live...maybe six weeks total of temperatures in the 40-50 range. Maybe a week of freezing weather. On those days, we might have a high in the 70s.

I might have to rig some sort of pole up to a cup to dip out water to test.....is this a Shark Tank idea?? My grandchildren were in the pool in November and then in again by late February to March.....wetsuits!! They are braver than me!!

My former pool service didn't do anything special to close the pool last winter....I know I won't be covering it so I will just try to maintain the levels.

LOL kids WILL swim regardless of how cold the water is. (lol I can't and Ain't doing it cause I do Not like the cold at all ).

But, No more colder temps than you have that sounds like it would probably be your best solution. Also a lot of people use the leaf net covers over their pools in the Fall to try to prevent the leaves from getting in. It will stop all the big ones, but some smaller stuff will still be able to make it through that will have to be gotten out, but definitely better than nothing on there, if you have a lot of trees nearby.

With those temps, then you should not be closing your pool. You're just costing yourself more time, labor and money by closing the pool. If you simply maintained it over the winter then you would not get the algae mess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.