Sucking air on on suction side of pump

yargh

Sep 5, 2015
Plesant Hill, CA
Hi All,
I was hoping for some advice before I start replacing stuff. I am getting air on the suction side of my plumbing and I think it's the 3 way Jandy valve that controls flow between skimmer and the drain. When I have it full open it doesn't appear that much air gets pulled into the system. However if I close it in either direction I get more air in the line (especially if I close the skimmer and pull only from the main drain). When pump is off I don't appear to have any leaks, and the water level doesn't appear to drop any more than usual (I don't have an autofill).

If I'm right what should I look at replacing? The entire valve, or does typically a rebuild + O-rings typically work?

If it is the valve a rebuild should take care of it. When looking for a suction leak, you can often isolate and confirm it with some plastic wrap.

As you pull from either skimmer or main drain, you are applying additional suction (restriction) to the pump intake.

Check the pump 0 ring first. That varying suction can cause the o ring to leak when suction is high and stop leaking when suction is low (when the jandy is pulling from both sources)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.