Pool leak at return - is it the pipe, or is it the facing?

May 4, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Recently repaired a leaking shaft seal on my pool pump, and noticed my pool level was dropping faster than usual. I let it drain for a week or so to see where it would finally stop, and yesterday it finally stopped draining right below one of the return jets in my inground plaster pool. Water line stated well above the other return, the pool light, and the suction port so feeling pretty good that I've identified the leak point.

Link to pictures (the were too big for the forum): http://imgur.com/a/0f0Mu

So how can I tell whether or not the leak is happening internally, in the pipes somewhere, or if it's just leaking from the facing? The fact that it didn't stop draining until it was well below the outlet, and the visual appearance of the return, makes me hopeful that this is something happening on the surface and not deep inside somewhere. The line runs under a stamped concrete deck and some rocks that make up my waterfall, so I really hope so!

Also, any tips on where to get started fixing this?

The fact that the water stopped leaking once it reached the fitting is promising. Those look like some older return eyeball fittings. You should be able to unscrew the eyeball fitting and check the area behind where the PVC actually entered through the pool surface. Normally they are sealed generously from outside (behind) the pool exterior where the tube enters through the wall, but you may be able to see something from inside the pool. It might be nothing more than sealing it right from there and then reattaching your eyeball fitting. That would certainly be ideal. Good luck!

Most of the time, finding plumbing leaks is an exercise of logic and observation. 99.9% of all leaks stop at the level of the leak. So, in your case, since the water has stopped at the bottom of your return line means that the leak can be either in that pipe or at the fitting, it could be either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.