Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When can the pool heater be turned on

1. Back To Top    #1
    Tulsa OK

When can the pool heater be turned on

I have come across that the pool heater should not be turned on for around the first 3-4 weeks in a "plaster" pool. Does that include pebble finish. I know that they use plaster to hold it in, or it some sort of mix. Pool should be finished in about 4 weeks and we have a person who will come out and teach survival swim in our pool to our smallest, but he requires it to be heated. Trying to get an idea of when we could after it is filled.

We will have both a gas heater and a heat/chill pump.
    55,000 gallon freeform L-shape 40x50ft, 3'8-10', 150' perimeter, gunite, pebbletec (tbd), sand filter, 2hp Ecostar variable speed pump, 400k gas heater, Aquacomfort heat/chill pump, 8 jet spa with 2hp blower, limestone grotto waterfall, 20 ft BYOS slide with arch and water fall, grand effects wall torches and fire bowls, 1m diving platform with 14ft board, gold line salt system, full automation, stamp, stained and salted concrete

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: When can the pool heater be turned on

Pebble finish counts as plaster for our purposes.

I can't help with the main question, I haven't got a clue. I would check with the builder if I were you. They'll look for any excuse to void a warranty if there's a problem down the line.

Anyway, here's a
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Bridge City, TX

We have pebble tec and were told no heater for 14 days.

4. Back To Top    #4

Long Island, NY

I had a Pebble Fina finish applied last year and since they do a "hot start" with lots of acid added to the water, the heater should be bypassed until your water is balanced and most of the plaster dust from the start up is gone. The other pebbletec finishes may be different start up procedures (they may acid wash before filling with water), so check with your builder.
    20x40 in-ground Bella Blue Pebble Fina pool w/diving board, 1 HP Hayward Superpump, Raypak RP2100 335k BTU NG mV heater, Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, Pentair 261173 multi-port valve, Stenner 45MPHP10 pump w/15 gal tank, Intermatic ET1125CR dual electronic timer, 1.5" lines, two skimmers w/socks, Poolskim, separate vacuum line, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 kit, TF-100 kit, speedstir, 2 froglogs. Wine is the answer, what was the question?