Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this? A vent?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this? A vent?

I took out some dead bushes around my pool and in doing so I found this pvc capped pipe. It is directly on line with a "vent"on the side of my pool. What is this for? The cap just comes right off. There is no pressure so no water flows out. I am just curious why it is there and what it might be for.

You can see it on the image attached. On the right side under the water next to the light is the vent and the left side outside of the screen enclosure is the capped pipe. The vent in the water just has a gate over it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~16000 gallon in-ground gunite. Pentair 160316 cartridge filter. Testing with TF100. Baracuda G3 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this? A vent?

Ya' got me!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

overflow?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

They might not be related or connected. Try using a garden hose in one end to see if water comes out of the other end.

I would suspect that the pipe outside of the fence goes to a well point under the deep end to allow control of the ground water in case the pool needs to be drained.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know for sure that they are connected, they may not be. They are in line with each other though.

This picture is of the shallow end. There is actually another pipe outside of the deep end. That one the cap is glued.

Who knows.
    ~16000 gallon in-ground gunite. Pentair 160316 cartridge filter. Testing with TF100. Baracuda G3 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you're in Florida, I would suspect that it might be a Suction Limiting Vent System (SLVS).