Month 1!

Aug 1, 2015
Whittier
It has been a hectic one, but our new pool has been filled with water for one month! It took several weeks before our pool contractor added the start-up salt and chemicals and So Cal went through a scorching heat wave too boot. I have battled some green algae spots, but it seems that I am getting the upper hand.

I have been keeping up with my testing and wanted to run the #'s by everyone. Do they seem OK?

FC: 5.5
CC: 2.5
TC: 8.0
CH: 425 ppm
TA: 100
CYA: 40

pool.jpg

Hi Rob. Nice pool you have there. Your CC reading indicates that you may still have some organics brewing in there. Also, you didn't post your pH. :) With a new pool, you'll want to watch that pH closely. Because you stated you have had some green spots, and your CC is so high, I would normally recommend starting a SLAM (link below). Based on our Pool School - Start-up New Plaster, you should wait at least 30 days before doing a SLAM on new plaster. If it has been more than 30 days, then I would recommend a SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

Your water is clear for now, so the sooner you bump that FC up to SLAM level (FC of 16) and keep it there, the sooner it should be done and you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. If you have ANY reservations about the higher FC level and any effects upon your pool warranty, please check with your builder first. You definitely don't want to go against their instructions in the beginning. But when it comes to eliminating algae, a SLAM is your best bet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.