Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex purespa setup

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex purespa setup

I just got the intex purespa. The one with the swg. I added 4 lbs of salt it called for 4.4. Didn't want to over do. I turned the heater on last night. Temp is good now. I need to run the swg to start sanitation can I run it same time as heater? Also how many hours should I run I'm in az temp last couple days approx 100. Do I need to add cya? Or is that just for salt pools?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 x 9 x 52 rectangle. 4545 Gallons.
    12 in Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump w/ GFCI.
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System™ w/ GFCI.
    TF-100 Taylor testing.
    K-1000 Taylor testing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex purespa setup

You can run the SWG at the same time as a heater. You most definitely need to add CYA or else the chlorine will be too strong (CYA significantly moderates chlorine's strength). For a spa, target 30-40 ppm CYA. As for how long to run the SWG, you'll have to experiment to see how quickly it outputs chlorine but the loss from sunlight will be somewhat higher than in a pool due to the shallower depth. There is also additional loss from the higher spa water temperature.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

There should be no loss from sun in an Intex Spa, the cover needs to be on at all times unless you're in it so you can keep the temperature up. An Intex spa with a 1300w heater won't maintain heat without its cover on.
    Inground pool, bit of an L shape with a spa with spillover, 3 pumps for pool, spa and water feature, salt water system, 400K btu heater, Aqualogic controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for clarifying about the cover (the photos I saw of it didn't show it with a cover). The CYA is still needed even in a covered spa in order to not have the active chlorine be too strong.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

ok, so i used the pool cal and added approx 1 tsp of CYA granules, read cya next day CYA not reading? I added another tsp, will check again this afternoon. I was wondering how often i may need to run the SWG I ran it the 1st day for 8 hours to get chlorine going and it read approx 3. so that was good right? but now that its up, how often and how long is a good place to start for the swg?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 x 9 x 52 rectangle. 4545 Gallons.
    12 in Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump w/ GFCI.
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System™ w/ GFCI.
    TF-100 Taylor testing.
    K-1000 Taylor testing.

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA is slow to dissolve so may not read in the test right away. As for the SWG, you'll have to experiment with how long you need to run it to maintain a chlorine level. Just remember that if you use the spa infrequently, you may need to add chlorine after your soak and use the SWG for background dosing.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is it possible my testing agent has gone bad? I tested my pool back in July and cya was good. Today tested it just to check and no reading. ,test says 0 cya

8. Back To Top    #8

That's unlikely since melamine doesn't go bad very quickly. If you grind some CYA granules into a powder and add them to a bucket of warm/hot water you should be able to register a reading. 1/8th of a teaspoon of CYA per gallon should show up as 150 ppm.