closing pool

May 15, 2015
southern, ct
Hello Everyone, We are going to close our pool for the winter and I was wondering do I need to pump out water below the return jets or can I just cap the line return lines in the pool and then blowout the lines from where the pump sits through the skimmer I am only asking because I am adding winterizing chemicals and then going to pump the water below jets I am a beginner just curious.

Thank You, Bobby G

Definitely recommend blowing out the lines in the swimming pool. The State of CT is usually colder than NJ and we get some cold harsh winters. There are many ways to close a pool and a lot of different equipment. All lines must be plugged after removing most of the water (blowing air through the system), skimmers plugged and main drain (if you have one) must be blown out and an air lock must be created.

I personally purchased a Cyclone (expensive), but convenient and created a modified cover. This will be my first year doing this and I will have some help from a friend. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, there are many people that work for pool companies that have been closing pools for years. They range around $150-$175. Not worth the risk of having something break underground due to freezing. Ask all your friends who they use and how much they are charged and you will find someone at a reasonable price.

From what I know, water expands about 9%. The frost line in NJ & CT is about 36" (3 feet). The ice that freezes in the pool for some strange reason is not very thick. Maybe 1/2" at most as I occasionally peeked in the pool during the winter. And it seemed that the edges (about 1/2"), there was no ice near the liner. Must have to do with the actual temperature of ground, etc. If at least 50% of the water is removed and everything is plugged properly, I doubt you will have any problems.

Good Luck! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.