Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: closing pool

1. Back To Top    #1

closing pool

Hello Everyone, We are going to close our pool for the winter and I was wondering do I need to pump out water below the return jets or can I just cap the line return lines in the pool and then blowout the lines from where the pump sits through the skimmer I am only asking because I am adding winterizing chemicals and then going to pump the water below jets I am a beginner just curious.

Thank You, Bobby G
    15000 GALLON POOL/ VINYL LINER
    SWG/ T-3 HAYWARD TURRBO CELL
    PENTAIR CC200 CARTRIDGE FILTER SYSTEM
    HAYWARD SUPER PUMP 3/4 HP
    RAYPAK HEATER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: closing pool

Hello Bobby. I see you have a vinyl pool, but I wasn't sure if it was in-ground or above, so I'm providing you with both pages so you can use the one that applies:
    Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool
    Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
    Start with these, and if you still have questions, just let us know. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

How are you going to blow out those lines with one capped is my question.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Definitely recommend blowing out the lines in the swimming pool. The State of CT is usually colder than NJ and we get some cold harsh winters. There are many ways to close a pool and a lot of different equipment. All lines must be plugged after removing most of the water (blowing air through the system), skimmers plugged and main drain (if you have one) must be blown out and an air lock must be created.

I personally purchased a Cyclone (expensive), but convenient and created a modified cover. This will be my first year doing this and I will have some help from a friend. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, there are many people that work for pool companies that have been closing pools for years. They range around $150-$175. Not worth the risk of having something break underground due to freezing. Ask all your friends who they use and how much they are charged and you will find someone at a reasonable price.

From what I know, water expands about 9%. The frost line in NJ & CT is about 36" (3 feet). The ice that freezes in the pool for some strange reason is not very thick. Maybe 1/2" at most as I occasionally peeked in the pool during the winter. And it seemed that the edges (about 1/2"), there was no ice near the liner. Must have to do with the actual temperature of ground, etc. If at least 50% of the water is removed and everything is plugged properly, I doubt you will have any problems.

Good Luck!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013