Stone sealing - Split face & coping

Mar 3, 2015
Texas
Long time lurker making his first post!

Our pool was dug on 15th July and we're in the final stages now... Our pool builder has just dropped a little suprise on us. During the quotation / design stage we discussed the subject of stone sealing and the conclusion was that we could do this later if we chose to. Yesterdays email from the scheduler basically states that all the stone work needs sealing.

Rather than pay another contractor to do this (and delay the completion process - again...) We're going to do this ourselves. I plan to use the Dupont Stonetech professional salt water sealer on our travertine coping, sandstone (moss rock?) weeping wall & the split face travertine tiles that are on the raised beam and spa walls.

I'm wondering if anyone had any experience or suggestions regarding how best to apply the sealer to the split face tiles. I'm planning to use a small foam roller on the coping and moss rock but I'm not sure how to work with the split face.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Stone sealing - Split face & coping

If you call them and ask (stonetech) they will tell you that you can also us the HD sealer. Its way cheaper. Its easy to apply and so far is great. Once you go to HD you cant go back to the saltwater sealer though because they are quite different. Water vs solvent based. You can use saltwater sealer then switch to HD but not the other way around. Find my thread on sandblasting and sealing. Lots of good info in my opinion of course.

Re: Stone sealing - Split face & coping

Thanks for the tip and the pointer to your thread. I used the stonetech salt water sealer mainly becasue I could get hold of it that weekend. It's made the water bead nicely on the coping - I guess this will be a good indicator of when to re-apply the sealant.

I just used a sprayer a week ago or so to apply the HD. That really worked well. If too much pooled I was ready with a roller but never needed it on the flatter surfaces. On the waterfall I needed a rag to catch the small pools that quickly developed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.