I think I've got this....tell me why you think.

RuthN

Aug 2, 2015
TX
Ok. I THINK I've got my pool figured out as far as what it likes and wants. I'm a numbers nerd, so I took all my results from the last month and it seems the results tell me this.

My pool sits in the full sun for about 8 hours a day. I run the pump and waterfall on high for 4 hours a day and low for 4 hours. The SWG was set at 90%. After a couple of days, the FC was pushing 6 and increasing. I dropped it back to 60% for a couple of days and the FC dropped to 3.5. I raised it to 75 and it is now holding steady at 5-6. I like it.

ive gotten CYA up to 70 and I think that's correct.

The waterfall has been pushing the ph up to 8.2. I've only been dropping it to 7.5 but then have to add MA everyday. I decided to drop it to 7.2 one day in the early morning and when I got home from work, the ph was 7.6. I was able to not add MA for three days and the pool stayed between 7.6 and 7.8.

So it looks like I've finally found the sweet spots. I'm still working on TA and CH. I think my pool is higher than the recommended levels, but from everything I've read, heats probably ok.

I would, and do, let TA float. Unless you're one of those folks that watches S.I. TA is really only relevant in it's relationship to pH. You kinda found that out with your MA drop of pH. It also dropped TA and that's what's helping to keep the pH rise in check. Remember high TA will cause a pH rise like aeration and SWG do.

Look at that, we're already talking about tweaking things!! Good job!!

I have the biggest smile reading this! You have come SO far! You are a poster child for TFP and doing what is advised! Look what it got you! A clear pool that you have learned and know what it wants!

HUGS!

How are you doing on the filter? Have you figured it out? How to take it apart, how to clean it, etc.

Kim

LOL Kim. I have not even begun to attempt the filter. Roflmao. I know it needs to be cleaned probably twice a year. Our yard is not real dirty. Beyond that....not a clue!

- - - Updated - - -

I would, and do, let TA float. Unless you're one of those folks that watches S.I. TA is really only relevant in it's relationship to pH. You kinda found that out with your MA drop of pH. It also dropped TA and that's what's helping to keep the pH rise in check. Remember high TA will cause a pH rise like aeration and SWG do.

Look at that, we're already talking about tweaking things!! Good job!!

The TA fluctuating doesn't really bother me as long as my ph, FC, and CYA are in alignment. I think my pool is obstinate and wants nothing to do with suggested ranges for TA and CH. :eek:

That's why they are only suggestions. I've seen TA all the way from 40 to 140. It's all in what your pool wants. The only thing I would want to consider in your case would be the gunite and possibly scale build up. But now we're out of my comfort zone. Hopefully others with more knowledge will post if they think it's important.

Ruth when you are ready to tackle the filter just let us know and we can walk you through it.

Just make sure you have lots of time and get ready to get wet. It will not be a big deal but for the first time you want to be able to take your time and really understand what you are doing.

We will be there every step of the way!

HUGS!

Kim

Thanks Kim! I don't think I'm going to tackle that until October. I've been keeping an eye on the pressure and making sure everything looks ok. Unless something goes wonky, I'm only dealing with chemicals for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.