Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pool Remodel in Jacksonville, FL

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Remodel in Jacksonville, FL

Hi. I have learned a great deal by visiting this site and will be starting a pool remodel soon. Hopefully there are some elements of my story that will ultimately prove helpful to someone.

I purchased my home five years ago. It was the first time I had ever had a pool as I grew up in Colorado. The home inspection showed the original pump was failing and some of coping around the pool deck was loose. This was fixed prior to closing. Soon thereafter however the original salt-water system began to have problems. I don't recall the brand but it was not mainstream by any means and it was connected to some strange mechanical timer with odd pull out pins. The pool service company started to put pucks weekly into the skimmer baskets and to be frank I am not sure if the original salt water cell ever worked. Also the color-wheel lights could only be controlled by manually turning an on/off switch by the pool equipment which was very cumbersome.

So I replaced the original system with a Hayward Aqualogic salt water cell based system with a variable speed pump. Lights switched to LED. Replaced the very bulky sand based filter with a cartridge based system. A remote now controls the lights and fountain deck jets. Kept the original heater, although honestly it never gets much use. This was about 3 1/2 years ago. The complete package with install was $8,400. I had a mixed experience with the Hayward brand. The pump and both LCD lights ultimately failed but the subsequent replacements under the three year warranty have worked perfectly.

This summer season I started to notice unstable water levels. I have had leaks in both skimmers and once near my pool light several times over the years. My experience with leak detection companies had been as follows: they get in the pool, they put a piece of putty by the pools light surround or inside the skimmers, they bill you $200 and tell you it is fixed, and then inevitably the leak later reappears. It was after a couple of these go arounds that I got the idea that maybe it was time to rehab the pool itself. I figured I could probably address the leak issue completely with a remodel. I also started to notice strange progressive discoloration of the plaster. It almost looked like dirt but could not be scrapped or brushed off. I do have someone service the pool weekly, but given what I read here, I am not sure how much attention is being paid to pH or calcium hardness. The Hayward remote tells you the salt level, so I was lulled into a somewhat false sense of security as that has always been on point, but I now recognize that a pool test kit is a must.

I interviewed several companies and ultimately went with the one that was PebbleTech certified.

So this is the pool. I always thought the shape was unusual but I was told it is known as a cathedral shape and will leave as-is.

Here you can see the plaster discoloration issues; i think this was probably related to chronic pool chemistry issues in retrospect.

Here are the elements to be addressed : replace the coping, replace the pool tile, and refinish the main pool surface:

And of course figure out the leak.

PB explained that the skimmer, light area, and return jet leaks would be fixed with the type of remodel I had in mind. The larger issue could be with the drains. There are four in the pool. So this week a real leak detector came to look at the pool. He pressurized the lines and then listened with a microphone device. Turns out there was a leak in one of the return jets. The real discovery, however, was that three of four pool drains are completely blocked. It is possible that this might have been done deliberately to address prior leaks. It was certainly not something that any of the other "leak detection companies" that I had hired previously discovered. As an aside, this is a real issue with Florida in general--great weather but many cons and scams so due diligence is especially important.

Next week an attempt will be made to unblock the drains; if there are leaks then the drains will need to be replaced which would run about $1000 per drain. PB also mentioned that the one non-leaking unblocked drain could be expanded with a newer drain type, but we did not get into detailed specifics. Once the scope of the leak and drain work is known then I can finalize coping, pool finish, and tile choices. The planned start date for the remodel is the 3rd week of September.
    34x17, IG gunite pool, Cathedral shape, Hayward Pro-Logic automation, 40,000 gal T-cell 15, Hayward EcoStar VFD, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 Cartridge Filter, Hayward ColorLogic LED lights x 2

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Remodel in Jacksonville, FL

I would love to hear how they try to clear the drains.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice pool and great view! Thanks for sharing that, looking forward to the rest of the story.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice looking pool and yard. Look forward to seeing the remodel and the progress on fixing the leaks.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Remodel begins tomorrow. Turns out the three drains were clogged with quartz plaster used to finish the pool originally. They used a pressure wash device to unclog. I was told that after the acid wash with initial application this can sometimes occur. No evidence of leaking in any of the drains.

Going with Lightstream tile for the water line areas.
    A couple of other projects have used tile from this company and they all look amazing.

Will be using Steel Blue:

34x17, IG gunite pool, Cathedral shape, Hayward Pro-Logic automation, 40,000 gal T-cell 15, Hayward EcoStar VFD, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 Cartridge Filter, Hayward ColorLogic LED lights x 2

6. Back To Top    #6

Exciting, and wow, those palm tree are wonderful -- quintessential Florida, hope they stay!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

LOVE the tile! BLING!

so you are saying those lines have been blocked the whole life of the pool? You would think the people who had the pool built would have done something about it. Hummmmmmmmmmm I wonder if it got worse as the years went by with stuff getting stick more and more.

I am glad they were able to get them open.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Pool was drained today. Took 6 hours. Surprised at the depth and how it was contoured out. Never really appreciated that before.
    Plaster was in bad shape. I think it again emphasizes the import of pool chemistry. Will definitely be changing to a different pool service company and will start my own weekly pH checks.

Here they are beginning remove the coping by sawing into the grout. The plan is to replace with travertine to make more seamless. I know some have raised concerns about a salt water pool and travertine. It tends to be less of an issue in Florida given the frequent rains.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have something to show you....................

Look at this link and REALLY think about getting one of these test kits.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

The link to buy the two we use and love is in my siggy below.

With it being a plaster pool you will need to check more than just the PH. I am also going to shoot you a couple of links to show you how easy it is to take care of your pool and how cheap it can be!

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

THIS is the way to take care of a pool.

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

That is a very unusual pool floor!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Your pool bottom reminds me of Wednesday's.

Anyone?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I get it, but not sure if I can say that on here.
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Just hump daaaay!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

15. Back To Top    #15

Analytical me votes for a sine wave. But both work for sure.

16. Back To Top    #16

More demolition. Next stage will be coping revision.

17. Back To Top    #17

Glad I am not the one that has to get that out. The bucket will get heavy fast!

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

Travertine coping arrived. Lightstream tile finally shipped. They are having some supply issues with the foundry but should still be able to finish by end of October. Still aways to go. Continued prep work for coping and tile install.

19. Back To Top    #19

One step at a time.............even if there are a lot of steps! LOL

At least here in FL you can keep the pool open year round as we do not have to worry about a solid freeze! That way you can enjoy the view until it warms up enough to jump in!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

New travertine coping in.
    Because of pool shape could not get zero edge line like originally planned but the new coping still integrates much better with existing travertine deck than prior mortar brick.
    Glass tile install begins this week.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast