Concerned about acid used to expose quartz

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

I had a twenty year old pool remodel with Quartzscape Tahoe Blue. The person who was supposed to take the plaster to the exposed Quartz, that we hired, was unfortunately not experienced in this procedure. After two months, although the pool was pretty, the plaster remained and was blotchy and streaked. We contacted the original pool plaster company and he came to check the pool. He informed us that the person we hired did not use enough acid when breaking down the plaster to expose the Quartz. He send someone over. Yesterday, they poured 4 gallons of acid into my spa and by that evening the plaster was gone and the dark blue Quartz was exposed. A completely different look. The look we paid for. They will now add acid to the pool and do the same thing. My question out there to all you pool professionals is this: is this correct? And will I have damage to my pool because of the acid sitting in my pool for three days? Thank you!

My plaster is plain with some DB Quartz added for coloration. The "reveal" process works just like that. Make your pool very acidic so it eats away some of the plaster - all the while brushing twice a day. Then the pH rises on it's own generally to normal levels. Keeping the pump running on high the whole time. The pH is not low long enough to harm your equipment (too much). The process is inherently a little tough on the equipment but it is a common practice. I believe they added about 7 gallons to our 27K pool, though I could be off there. Four in a spa would seem like a lot, but it did work quickly. Then you would circulate and it would dilute quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.