Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Starting to Turn Green but Levels Look Good

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Starting to Turn Green but Levels Look Good

First some pics. The plaster is a dark blue so it's not as bad as it looks at first glance but it's definitely getting there in a hurry.

This all happened in the last couple days. The pool was crystal clear before and the FC levels have not dropped below target.

FC 5
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    CYA 40
    TA 120
    CH 250

Any ideas? I'm going out of town on Monday so if a SLAM is in the cards it's going to have to wait a week. I really don't want it to turn into a swamp in the meantime.

24,000 gal IG plaster, Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Starting to Turn Green but Levels Look Good

Well at a minimum you should elevate the FC level to try to hold off anything that might be developing until such time as you can get to the SLAM if needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Last night I added a gallon of bleach which brought the FC up to 8 and brushed the pool. This morning it looks the same and the FC has only dropped to 7.5. If the was an algae bloom wouldn't it have ate up a lot more chlorine? What else could it be?the water is pretty cloudy and has a slight green tint to it.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

How's the pump pressure/flow? Getting enough circulation? Any chance a 'helpful' person added anything 'foreign' to the water? We recently had a case of that happening...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

The pump pressure is 22 after a backwash. I did have a pool service out on Monday to try to clear a clogged skimmer line, which they failed at. I still have one functioning skimmer and the main drains.

6. Back To Top    #6

It could be metals in the water. A faint orangeish tint from Iron could easily look that way against dark blue plaster. Copper algaecides can turn the water a lovely emerald green without clouding it at all. Do you have any acid? See what happens when you lower pH to 7.2. If things improve, it's metals, and you'll need a sequestrant.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I wonder if Bob is on to something-------what has been added to the pool in the last week? That includes water if any.

Are you testing with your own test kit?

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

awwwwwwwwwww

any idea what they added?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

To my knowledge nothing has been added other than the bleach and muratic acid has been added, unless the pool guy did something to intentionally sabotage.

Yes I am using the TF-100.

9. Back To Top    #9

Puma did they by chance try to use something liquid to try to unclog the skimmer line?

I would hope they did not do something to sabotage your pool but you never know

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

No they just tried to blow it out using CO2.

Looking at the CYA chart, even if I was off and my level was 50 I should have been okay. I keep FC around 6.

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay so here are what I THINK are your two options-

1. take a water sample to pool store and have them test for metals. Do NOT buy anything. Come back and tell us results.

2.SLAM your pool. Look in my siggy to see the link to how to do it.

I would test for metals to make sure. It will save you time and money if it does turn out to be metals.

Let us know what you do.

Kim

12. Back To Top    #12

Just took a sample to Leslie's. No copper or iron.

13. Back To Top    #13

Wonderful news! Now on to 2. SLAM your pool. The MOST important part of it is the Maintain------keep the FC AT or just above the SLAM level. If you are going to be away for a few hours push it up some to make sure it dose NOT go below SLAM level.

Take a pic of your steps looking down. Take the same pic every day so we can watch for progress.

Kim