Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump for solar failed..need advice!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump for solar failed..need advice!

My pool equipment is an unusual setup. I am not responsible as it came with the house. I have two pumps, one for the solar panels and one for the sand filter. The pump for the solar recently failed. My question is.. should I just replace the failed pump motor or is my other motor sufficient to filter the pool and push water through two 5 x 3 ft solar panels that are about 9 feet above the ground? I have a 10k gallon pool. Or should I get a new variable speed pump to do the job of the two pumps. Attached are some photos of my setup. The Sta-rite pump failed. The Century 3/4 HP is the filter pump. Between the solar panels and the pump is a Hayward actuator valve and the solar system is controlled separately by a Hayward Aqua solar GL-235. The rest of the system is controlled by a jandy Aqualink RS. I think most of the pvc pipe is 3 inch. Not sure why the two separate systems but probably to save money at the time. I would prefer to be able to operate the solar through the Jandy system but haven't figured out how to do that yet. I would appreciate any advice. My other equipment includes a pentair Triton II sand filter, Jandy AE-Ti heat pump and Polaris booster. Thanks!
    uploadfromtaptalk1441398701618.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1441399364895.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump for solar failed..need advice!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you please post a picture of the entire plumbing setup? Thanks.

I would certainly consider consolidating into a single pump. Ideally a 2-speed version that your Jandy should be able to control and automatically switch to high speed when the solar is needed. What kind of PUMP is your century motor connected to? It is actually a 1.25 SFHP motor and depending on the actual pump it might have enough power to run the solar itself if you were not ready to upgrade to a new pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

what Jason said
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you please post a picture of the entire plumbing setup? Thanks.

I would certainly consider consolidating into a single pump. Ideally a 2-speed version that your Jandy should be able to control and automatically switch to high speed when the solar is needed. What kind of PUMP is your century motor connected to? It is actually a 1.25 SFHP motor and depending on the actual pump it might have enough power to run the solar itself if you were not ready to upgrade to a new pump.
    Thanks for your reply! I thought I would forget some key info. I am still learning about this pool and about proper pool care. This site has been an invaluable source of information. So the pump to the filter appears to be a Max-E-Pro Pool Pmp .75hp and the pump to the solar is a Max-E-Pro Pool Pmp 2HP. Could I just swap pumps and reconfigure the plumbing because it seems that the solar pump is more powerful? I live in Hawaii so the added automation that the Hayward Aqua Solar provides does not seem to be necessary since I like to run the solar and the filter at the same time during peak sun times. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to simplify my setup through the Jandy system. I would be willing to get a new pump/motor if necessary. I have provided a link with additional pictures of my setup. Thanks!

http://khronos247.imgur.com/

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Pentair IntelliFlo VA running my system and I have like 5 or 6 panels on the second story of my roof. My suction lines are 2" and the returns are 1.5". Are you sure you have 3" lines? That is a very large diameter and a tad unusual. Anyway, I can run my pump at the equivalent power of a 3/4 HP (2400 rpm) and the pump has no problems running everything.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Agent99 View Post
    I have the Pentair IntelliFlo VA running my system and I have like 5 or 6 panels on the second story of my roof. My suction lines are 2" and the returns are 1.5". Are you sure you have 3" lines? That is a very large diameter and a tad unusual. Anyway, I can run my pump at the equivalent power of a 3/4 HP (2400 rpm) and the pump has no problems running everything.
    Yeah I was mistaken. It's 2 inch pipe.