Getting a new inflatable spa. Bromine?

Loved the stickie about bromine and spas! Great info, but not anything close to what I've done with my pool after 13 years of bromine. I just put the pucks in the brominator and I've never had a I problem.

Now I have a new grand rapids inflatable spa coming, and I've never looked after a spa before so I'll need to learn the ins and outs.

I will not use the spa when the pool is open (summer) but fall/winter/spring, yes. I'm near Toronto so winters are well below freezing.

My plan was to fill the spa with the pool drain hose, and by doing so transfer clean brominated water to the spa, and ready to use. I assume the first fill will not need sodium bromide for that reason, but subsequent fills of course will need that base.

When it's time for a drain and refill in a few months, was considering emptying the tub into the (closed) pool and refilling from the garden hose. Then following the bromine spa stickie to set it up from there.

Just curious if anyone thinks this is a good plan or.......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Curious if you are putting that outdoors, don't think that built in heater could keep up with harsh winters with well below freezing temps. Bromine is what I use in my Intex inflatable spa, I just put some powder in to get a bank and then use a floater to maintain it.

Yes! Absolutely it will be outdoors!

The grand rapids, and other portable spas they make are four season. Built for freezing temps. I fully expect the heater to keep up with the cold. This is not like intex, Coleman, etc, who don't "suggest" running below freezing - even though some chose to do so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hello Cybergy,

I saw this thread this afternoon, and although theirs is an Intex inflatable, they also are using Bromine, and now have this big yellow ring at the water line that they can't get rid of.

I don't know if the Bromine is the cause, or not as no one has responded to it yet, but I thought you might want to subscribe to this thread to see what the suggestions for remove end up being, and what actually eliminates the ring incase you happen to have the same issue with your new inflatable spa. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...e-hot-tub-with-a-yellow-ring-around-the-liner

Yeah Esiebert, I'm not sure either. I've never used Bromine so I personally can't say, but I am following the thread to see what thoughts and suggestions might come along. Have a nice night, I hope you figure something out on it.

Out of curiosity have you tried using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? They remove a lot of different things so it might be worth a shot.

Interesting enough if you google bromine and yellowing it seems that bromine in plastics is what causes them to turn yellow over time. Now I'm curious as to if anyone else has used bromine in their vinyl spa without yellowing. Don't think it hurts the liner but the yellow ring doesn't look great, guess I'll have to fill it to the top so the whole white surface looks the same yellowed look.

It's worth a try. I did a thread the other day on are Magic Erasers safe to use on or it your pools because formaldehyde and chlorine actually don't play well together, but it turns out since they are both in small amounts it is in fact fine to use them for that purpose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.