Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex doesn't circulate surface water well

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex doesn't circulate surface water well

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

I have the same problem. Will moving the return to the end and aiming it across the pool help? I want a fountain too. Anyone know of one for Intex pools? Stupid fittings are a pain!!!!
    Intex 12' x 24' w/ SWG rectangle stock sand filter. We added wide mouth thru the wall skimmer. This is our test pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex doesn't circulate surface water well

There are many threads on our forum that discuss Intex modifications for fountains and better circulation. Here is just one of many examples: Pool water relief in an intex pool?. For most, the trickiest part is simply getting the right combination of PVC fittings to match-up with your factory fitting from the pool wall. Then you can be as simple or creative as you want. You can also use the same principle to simply add a 45 degree fitting or two to help keep water circulating a little better rather than to have a return that just points straight ahead. Just type a couple key words on the Home Page's "Search" feature, and you'll see many more examples. Hope this helps to get you started.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Fatmommy View Post
    Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

I have the same problem. Will moving the return to the end and aiming it across the pool help? I want a fountain too. Anyone know of one for Intex pools? Stupid fittings are a pain!!!!
    Welcome to the forum.

If you follow the link in my sig for the skimmer install you'll see I replaced the Intex return with a Haywood 1-1/2" return with 3/4" eyeball. This was a big improvement in circulation for the pool.

Which sand filter is it? Maybe split it into two returns, on opposite sides with 1/2" eyeballs?

It must be tough getting the water to rotate in a rectangular pool. I point my return down and to the side so I get a strong clockwise rotation starting from the bottom. I get great surface rotation.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with domct203 and replace that return with a better fitting.
    You'll then have an industry standard for any accessory you might want.
    You can aim the eyeball towards the wall and slightly downward.
    Causing a virtual whirlpool in your pool. No doubt that water is circulating.

Just look for Hayward SP1023 and SP1419D.
    Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Amazon.com : Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

Here it is installed in my pool.
    It will fit the standard plumbing for both Intex and Coleman(Bestway) pools.

Coleman 5300 gal 16'x48" AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear 2800gph Sand Filter Pump 28647EG (56673EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ECO 8110
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits w/ Speedstir and Samplesizer

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dakhath View Post
    I agree with domct203 and replace that return with a better fitting.
    You'll then have an industry standard for any accessory you might want.
    You can aim the eyeball towards the wall and slightly downward.
    Causing a virtual whirlpool in your pool. No doubt that water is circulating.

Just look for Hayward SP1023 and SP1419D.
    Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Amazon.com : Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

Here it is installed in my pool.
    It will fit the standard plumbing for both Intex and Coleman(Bestway) pools.

Did you have to do anything to modify the Hayward to mate up to the intex valve?
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I had to put in a second rubber gasket. Otherwise it wouldn't tighten up enough to prevent leakage. With the second gasket, it's fine.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I had to put in a second rubber gasket. Otherwise it wouldn't tighten up enough to prevent leakage. With the second gasket, it's fine.
    Nice, thanks for the reply. I have an eye sitting waiting to be hard plumbed but I think I will install it now.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread